From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I see.
>
> How about emails deleted from MS Office Outlook.
> Can I ensure the deleted emails are gone permanently?
>
> Plse advise.

Look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291645

Bernd
From: Paul on
Centrol wrote:
> I see.
>
> How about emails deleted from MS Office Outlook.
> Can I ensure the deleted emails are gone permanently?
>
> Plse advise.
>

> "Christine" <centrol(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
>> I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned into C
>> & D drives)
>>
>> then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all.
>>
>> then I go do Disk Cleanup.
>>
>> Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved?
>>
>> If not, how to fool-proof?
>>
>> Thanks

"Compacting" is supposed to remove things that are deleted. The deleting
step doesn't really delete anything.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_shred_individual_emails_in_microsoft_outlook.html

"Compact the PST. This really does delete the messages because it removes
all the unused space from the PST. The unused space in the PST is returned
to the operating system as actual free disk space."

HTH,
Paul
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:54:31 +0800, "Christine"
<centrol(a)singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned into C
> & D drives)
>
> then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all.
>
> then I go do Disk Cleanup.
>
> Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved?
>
> If not, how to fool-proof?

"Deleting" a file doesn't actually delete it; it just marks the space
as available to be used. There are third-party programs that can
sometimes recover deleted files. However the space used by the file is
likely to become overwritten very quickly, and this makes the file
unrecoverable.

So the chances of successfully recovering this file are decent if you
try recovering it immediately after deleting it, and rapidly go
downhill from there. If you've been using the computer since then (for
example to write this question and read this answer), the chances of
undeleting may be very poor by now.

There are third-party programs that overwrite the space the files used
to take, bur needing to use one is rare. If you simply wait a few
days, the space will be overwritten anyway.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Jim on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:06:31 -0500, "Doug" <datapod(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I use http://www.handybits.com/shredder.htm
>

>Christine wrote:
>>> I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned
>>> into C & D drives)
>>>
>>> then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all.
>>>
>>> then I go do Disk Cleanup.

>>> Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved?
( retrieved )

From: Jim on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:06:31 -0500, "Doug" <datapod(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I use http://www.handybits.com/shredder.htm
>

>Christine wrote:
>>> I deleted some confidential files from D drives (harddisk paritioned
>>> into C & D drives)
>>>
>>> then I go to Recycle Bin to empty all.
>>>
>>> then I go do Disk Cleanup.
>>>
>>> Can the deleted files be un-deleted/retrieved?
>>>
>>> If not, how to fool-proof?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Adendum : misread original post .