From: Bruno Sousa on
Hi everyone!

If I want to read a simple string from keyboard:
simple_text = gets

What if a password needs to be read from keyboard (commando line)?
How do I mask it with asterisks?

Regards,
Bruno

From: James Harrison on

> If I want to read a simple string from keyboard:
> simple_text = gets
>
> What if a password needs to be read from keyboard (commando line)?
> How do I mask it with asterisks?

Try thinking of it like this:

every time a key is pressed on the keyboard, you want to:

print "*"

I don't have time right now to mock up an example, but that might get you started.
From: Guglielmo Fachini on
Bruno Sousa wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> If I want to read a simple string from keyboard:
> simple_text = gets
>
> What if a password needs to be read from keyboard (commando line)?
> How do I mask it with asterisks?
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

This can help you:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/133719/how-to-read-a-password-in-ruby

From: Joseph E. Savard on
require 'rubygems'
require 'highline/import'

pwd = ask("Enter your password: " ) {|c| c.echo=false; c.echo='*';}

puts "the password=#{pwd}"

From: Joseph E. Savard on

c.echo=false; not needed... Only needs the c.echo='*'