From: AndyT on
I am new to programming with Access 2007. I have created a database
for purchased items for the home. I have a store address text box on
the entry form. Some of the stores are actually web sites. I would
like to have the web addresses ONLY, appear as hyperlinks on the forms
and reports. It seems that using the "ishyperlink" property is an all
or nothing proposition. Is there a simple way to accomplish this task?
From: AndyT on
On Jan 24, 12:20 am, AndyT <ato...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> I am new to programming with Access 2007. I have created a database
> for purchased items for the home. I have a store address text box on
> the entry form. Some of the stores are actually web sites. I would
> like to have the web addresses ONLY, appear as hyperlinks on the forms
> and reports. It seems that using the "ishyperlink" property is an all
> or nothing proposition. Is there a simple way to accomplish this task?

I assume that their are no simple answers. I was at least hoping for
some reply / criticism.

From: Keith Wilby on
"AndyT" <atofil(a)cox.net> wrote in message
On Jan 24, 12:20 am, AndyT <ato...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> I am new to programming with Access 2007. I have created a database
> for purchased items for the home. I have a store address text box on
> the entry form. Some of the stores are actually web sites. I would
> like to have the web addresses ONLY, appear as hyperlinks on the forms
> and reports. It seems that using the "ishyperlink" property is an all
> or nothing proposition. Is there a simple way to accomplish this task?

It might be that no-one has replied because the question isn't clear. Are
you saying that you have a dual purpose field for postal address and web
address? If so then you need two dedicated fields for each address and then
use an "IIF" function in a query to return the populated field.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

From: Marco Pagliero on
On 28 Jan., 14:13, AndyT wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:20 am, AndyT wrote:
> > I am new to programming with Access 2007. I have created a database
> > for purchased items for the home. I have a store address text box on
> > the entry form. Some of the stores are actually web sites. I would
> > like to have the web addresses ONLY, appear as hyperlinks on the forms
> > and reports. It seems that using the "ishyperlink" property is an all
> > or nothing proposition. Is there a simple way to accomplish this task?
> I assume that their are no simple answers. I was at least hoping for
> some reply / criticism.
No, as Keith says, I just didn't understand what you need.

But one possibility is to put everything, adresses and links, in one
table field, datatype = text. In the relevant _format event of the
report you can test for instance whether in the text "http" is
present, and if yes, set ishyperlink = true, if not, set ishyperlink =
false.

if instr$(TblField,"http") then RptField.ishyperlink = true else
RptField.ishyperlink = false

TblField is your value/column from the table, RptField your field in
the report. In most reports they are identical (but sometime this
means troubles).

According to the access-help it could work, but I didn't try it
myself.

Greetings
Marco P
From: Salad on
Marco Pagliero wrote:
> On 28 Jan., 14:13, AndyT wrote:
>
>>On Jan 24, 12:20 am, AndyT wrote:
>>
>>>I am new to programming with Access 2007. I have created a database
>>>for purchased items for the home. I have a store address text box on
>>>the entry form. Some of the stores are actually web sites. I would
>>>like to have the web addresses ONLY, appear as hyperlinks on the forms
>>>and reports. It seems that using the "ishyperlink" property is an all
>>>or nothing proposition. Is there a simple way to accomplish this task?
>>
>>I assume that their are no simple answers. I was at least hoping for
>>some reply / criticism.
>
> No, as Keith says, I just didn't understand what you need.
>
> But one possibility is to put everything, adresses and links, in one
> table field, datatype = text. In the relevant _format event of the
> report you can test for instance whether in the text "http" is
> present, and if yes, set ishyperlink = true, if not, set ishyperlink =
> false.
>
> if instr$(TblField,"http") then RptField.ishyperlink = true else
> RptField.ishyperlink = false
>
> TblField is your value/column from the table, RptField your field in
> the report. In most reports they are identical (but sometime this
> means troubles).
>
> According to the access-help it could work, but I didn't try it
> myself.
>
> Greetings
> Marco P

Expanding on your reply...from the immediate window I entered the following.

x = "Some Store#www.somestore.com"
? hyperlinkpart(x,acAddress)
www.somestore.com
? hyperlinkpart(x,acDisplayText)
Some Store
? hyperlinkpart(x,acDisplayedValue)
Some Store
? hyperlinkpart(x,acFullAddress)
www.somestore.com
? acaddress
2
? acDisplayText
1
? acdisplayedValue
0
? acFullAddress
5

In a form or report on can use the "ac" values. In a query, the value
of the "ac" variable. A hyperlink is composed of 4 parts; the displayed
value, the address, the subaddress, and control-tip text. Each part is
separated by a #.

One could have
x= "SomeStore"
? hyperlinkpart(x,acDisplayText)
SomeStore
? hyperlinkpart(x,acAddress)
<blank/
x= "#www.somestore.com"
? hyperlinkpart(x,acDisplayText)
<blank>
? hyperlinkpart(x,acAddress)
www.somestore.com.

One can create a hyperlink by placing a # between each part. One can
use acDisplayedValue to for the value the is displayed since certain
parts of an address may be missing.