From: Marc Kleine-Budde on
Ben Dooks wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:20:38PM +0200, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
>> The i2c_imx_trx_complete() function is using
>> wait_event_interruptible_timeout() to wait for the I2C controller to
>> signal that it has completed an I2C bus operation. If the process that
>> causes the I2C operation receives a signal, the wait will be
>> interrupted, returning an error. It is better to let the I2C operation
>> finished before handling the signal (i.e. returning into userspace).
>>
>> It is safe to use wait_event_timeout() instead, because the timeout
>> will allow the process to exit if the I2C bus hangs. It's also better
>> to allow the I2C operation to finish, because unacknowledged I2C
>> operations can cause the I2C bus to hang.
>
> Hmm, if it times out, do you need to at-least try sending a stop
> on the bus? or does the caller do that for you?

The caller of the caller does this. "i2c_imx_xfer" will call
"i2c_imx_stop", and this function will generate the stop condition if
not already done so.

I'm sending a V3 version of the patch, which removes the only written to
variable "result".

cheers, Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde |
Industrial Linux Solutions | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 |