From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
I've got a new intel 64 bit PC. I installed i386 latest debian on it.

It works fine. Then I noticed there is amd64 debian also.

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Would it be better to install amd64 instead? I am assume amd64 will work
on this pc. How is debian 64 bit support for 32 bit applications? Why is
it called amd64 btw? why not intel64? may be becuase amd had 64 bit
before intel?

I have to format the disk and start all over, I think, but that would be ok.

thanks
--Nasser

From: Robert Heller on
At Sun, 30 May 2010 12:10:59 -0700 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:

> I've got a new intel 64 bit PC. I installed i386 latest debian on it.
>
> It works fine. Then I noticed there is amd64 debian also.
>
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> Would it be better to install amd64 instead? I am assume amd64 will work
> on this pc. How is debian 64 bit support for 32 bit applications? Why is
> it called amd64 btw? why not intel64? may be becuase amd had 64 bit
> before intel?

Yes and no. Originally Intel had a 64 bit instruction set, the ia64.
I think Intel still makes chips with this instruction set, but Intel
now uses AMD's 64 bit instruction set (known as x86_64) in their
mainstream processors -- the ones you are likely to get in retail
commodity PCs (including 'Intel' Macs). I think this is much like when
Sony gave up on BetaMAX VCRs and started making VHS (JVC's invention)
VCRs.

> I have to format the disk and start all over, I think, but that would be ok.

Yes indeed -- DON'T try to 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit. This is
likely to create a 'mess'. Do a proper 'fresh' install.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Robert Heller wrote:
> At Sun, 30 May 2010 12:10:59 -0700 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:
>
>> I've got a new intel 64 bit PC. I installed i386 latest debian on it.
>>
>> It works fine. Then I noticed there is amd64 debian also.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>>
>> Would it be better to install amd64 instead? I am assume amd64 will work
>> on this pc. How is debian 64 bit support for 32 bit applications? Why is
>> it called amd64 btw? why not intel64? may be becuase amd had 64 bit
>> before intel?
>
> Yes and no. Originally Intel had a 64 bit instruction set, the ia64.
> I think Intel still makes chips with this instruction set, but Intel
> now uses AMD's 64 bit instruction set (known as x86_64) in their
> mainstream processors -- the ones you are likely to get in retail
> commodity PCs (including 'Intel' Macs). I think this is much like when
> Sony gave up on BetaMAX VCRs and started making VHS (JVC's invention)
> VCRs.
>
>> I have to format the disk and start all over, I think, but that would be ok.
>
> Yes indeed -- DON'T try to 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit. This is
> likely to create a 'mess'. Do a proper 'fresh' install.

Yup.

I did this: essentially everything could be got to work except an HP
scanner which only had an HP 32 bit driver. That was dead.

Few minor buglets at the moment, but by and large stable and a lot
faster on screen update rate.

From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 05/30/2010 12:54 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Robert Heller wrote:
>> At Sun, 30 May 2010 12:10:59 -0700 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org>

>>> I have to format the disk and start all over, I think, but that would
>>> be ok.
>>

>> Yes indeed -- DON'T try to 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit. This is
>> likely to create a 'mess'. Do a proper 'fresh' install.
>

> Yup.
>
> I did this: essentially everything could be got to work except an HP
> scanner which only had an HP 32 bit driver. That was dead.
>
> Few minor buglets at the moment, but by and large stable and a lot
> faster on screen update rate.

OMG ! I have an HP scanner (HP scanjet 5590) which I can't live without.

I wonder if debian has a tool which one can run, which checks all the
hardware on the PC for compatibility with 64 debian OS?

This way one can run this script, and find out if all currently
connected devices will work or not on 64bit debian, before going through
the installation. I have also Fujistu scanSnap device, and Samsung
CLR-15 printer which I'd like to still use. These all now work ok on
32bit debian.

--Nasser
From: Robert Heller on
At Sun, 30 May 2010 13:39:38 -0700 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:

> On 05/30/2010 12:54 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> > Robert Heller wrote:
> >> At Sun, 30 May 2010 12:10:59 -0700 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org>

> >> Yes indeed -- DON'T try to 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit. This is
> >> likely to create a 'mess'. Do a proper 'fresh' install.
> >

> > Yup.
> >
> > I did this: essentially everything could be got to work except an HP
> > scanner which only had an HP 32 bit driver. That was dead.
> >
> > Few minor buglets at the moment, but by and large stable and a lot
> > faster on screen update rate.
> >

> OMG ! I have an HP scanner (HP scanjet 5590) which I can't live without.
>
> I wonder if debian has a tool which one can run, which checks all the
> hardware on the PC for compatibility with 64 debian OS?

There *should* be a 'Live CD' -- basically this a version of the OS
'installed' on a CD that can be booted up.