From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 08/02/2010 07:36 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:
> What is iBFT?
> The iBFT is an equivalent to the Boot Flag, except that its geared
> towards iSCSI and hence requires much more information (such as
> the IP of target, passwords, which device to login, etc). iBFT
> is a data structure populated by the BIOS or the NIC to contain this
> so that the OS can read it and login to the iSCSI and present
> the boot device to the initrd for mounting / FS.

I really don't see iBFT as equivalent to the boot flag at all. The boot
flag returns the status of the previous boot attempt; iBFT contains
information about where to find the current root.

Unfortunately, we're increasingly seeing a proliferation of this kind of
nonstandard ACPI tables, because it is difficult to add data to ACPI at
runtime. gPXE creates an aBFT table for AoE and sBFT for SRP, and
memdisk uses mBFT for MEMDISK at the moment.

It would be good to have some kind of common structure framework for these.

-hpa
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk on
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 11:22:21AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 07:36 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:
> > What is iBFT?
> > The iBFT is an equivalent to the Boot Flag, except that its geared
> > towards iSCSI and hence requires much more information (such as
> > the IP of target, passwords, which device to login, etc). iBFT
> > is a data structure populated by the BIOS or the NIC to contain this
> > so that the OS can read it and login to the iSCSI and present
> > the boot device to the initrd for mounting / FS.
>
> I really don't see iBFT as equivalent to the boot flag at all. The boot

I think for somebody who might confuse iBFT with a bar of soap
the "equivalant" will put them in the right frame of mind. And yes
it is not equivalant at all, should have said something like 'remotely akin' :-)

> flag returns the status of the previous boot attempt; iBFT contains
> information about where to find the current root.
>
> Unfortunately, we're increasingly seeing a proliferation of this kind of
> nonstandard ACPI tables, because it is difficult to add data to ACPI at

Keep in mind that iBFT is now a standard (woot!)

> runtime. gPXE creates an aBFT table for AoE and sBFT for SRP, and
> memdisk uses mBFT for MEMDISK at the moment.

Oh man, didn't know those existed at all.

> It would be good to have some kind of common structure framework for these.

I need to grok those tables some more to figure out what they all do.
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 08/02/2010 12:52 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

>> Unfortunately, we're increasingly seeing a proliferation of this kind of
>> nonstandard ACPI tables, because it is difficult to add data to ACPI at
>
> Keep in mind that iBFT is now a standard (woot!)

Yes, but the discovery method is ad hoc, as opposed to the standard ACPI
mechanisms.

>> runtime. gPXE creates an aBFT table for AoE and sBFT for SRP, and
>> memdisk uses mBFT for MEMDISK at the moment.
>
> Oh man, didn't know those existed at all.
>>
>> It would be good to have some kind of common structure framework for these.
>
> I need to grok those tables some more to figure out what they all do.

More or less the same thing as iBFT, but for AoE, SRP, or in-memory disk.

-hpa
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk on
On Monday 02 August 2010 16:26:59 H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 12:52 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, we're increasingly seeing a proliferation of this kind of
> >> nonstandard ACPI tables, because it is difficult to add data to ACPI at
> >
> > Keep in mind that iBFT is now a standard (woot!)
>
> Yes, but the discovery method is ad hoc, as opposed to the standard ACPI
> mechanisms.

The set of patches that I am asking Linus to pull now can use the ACPI table
to find the table or in the fallback case the old method of scanning the
memory. However if the machine has UEFI it will only do ACPI table lookup.

Can you point me what 'standard ACPI mechanism' is? Like sticking the code in
the drivers/acpi ? And then having a generic driver to handle the
[i,a,s,m]BFT tables and maybe some subordinate ones for specific pieces where
the generic can't handle it?

> >> It would be good to have some kind of common structure framework for
> >> these.
> >
> > I need to grok those tables some more to figure out what they all do.
>
> More or less the same thing as iBFT, but for AoE, SRP, or in-memory disk.

What is the tools state ? For iBFT, iscsi-initiator-utils scans
the /sys/firmware directory to extract the relevant data and does its thing.
Are there tools for AoE, SCSI RDMA Protocol (SRP), and in-memory disk?
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 08/02/2010 06:08 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> Can you point me what 'standard ACPI mechanism' is? Like sticking the code in
> the drivers/acpi ? And then having a generic driver to handle the
> [i,a,s,m]BFT tables and maybe some subordinate ones for specific pieces where
> the generic can't handle it?

With the standard ACPI mechanism I meant RDSP -> {RSDT,XSDT} -> table.
If it was easily possible to add SSDTs to this table structure then
probably the best thing would have been to make them PnP devices.

>>> I need to grok those tables some more to figure out what they all do.
>>
>> More or less the same thing as iBFT, but for AoE, SRP, or in-memory disk.
>
> What is the tools state ? For iBFT, iscsi-initiator-utils scans
> the /sys/firmware directory to extract the relevant data and does its thing.
> Are there tools for AoE, SCSI RDMA Protocol (SRP), and in-memory disk?

I don't know about AoE and SRP (Michael Brown <mcb30(a)ipxe.org> would
know), but I have a tool which scans for mBFT directly out of /dev/mem,
which is of course kind of ugly. It's shipped with the Syslinux
distribution in the utils/ directory.

-hpa