From: Zhihui Zhang on
I wish Btrfs well, so I would venture an idea for this specific case
mentioned by Edward Shishkin today.

Everyone knows that B-tree has internal and leaf nodes. Can we make
the root as the leaf? In other words, if you
create a 2K file, the B-tree will have only one node, which is both
the root and the leaf. Of course, you need some flag to
say this is a "degenerated" form of B-tree. Please cc me if you want
my response.

thanks,

-Zhihui
From: Andi Kleen on
Zhihui Zhang <zzhsuny(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I wish Btrfs well, so I would venture an idea for this specific case
> mentioned by Edward Shishkin today.
>
> Everyone knows that B-tree has internal and leaf nodes. Can we make
> the root as the leaf? In other words, if you
> create a 2K file, the B-tree will have only one node, which is both
> the root and the leaf. Of course, you need some flag to
> say this is a "degenerated" form of B-tree. Please cc me if you want
> my response.

You need to copy linux-btrfs to reach btrfs developers.
Ccs added

The problem with your idea is that on btrfs there's only
a single tree for the whole fs (or whole snapshot rather)
So it would only work for a single file because there's
only a single root.

-Andi
--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Zhihui Zhang on
Makes perfect sense. No wonder some btrfs folks used to work on
reiserfs/4. I hope a solution can be or has been found.