From: pelican on
I need to import a text file every 30 minutes into SQL. The text file looks
like this

One, two, three
One, two, three
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven
One, two, three
One, two three,
One, two, three, four

So you see number of columns varies. But the SQL import wizard sets up the
number of columns based the very first line of the input file. So the file
on SQL looks like this:

Column 1 Column2 Column3
One Two Three
One Two Three
One Two three, four, five, six, seven
One two three
One two three
One two three,four

I have tried many ways on SQL to find a way to let the import wizard to make
it a 7 column table, but it did not work.
I would like to have this:

Column 1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 Column6 Column7
One Two Three
One Two Three
One Two three four five six seven
One two three
One two three
One two three four

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Thanks in advance!
Pelican

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Maybe this will help:
http://www.sqlis.com/sqlis/post/Handling-different-row-types-in-the-same-file.aspx

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: pelican on
Thank Andrew.
I searched for "Flat File Connection" in SQL Management Studio and SSIS.
I was not successful. Where can I open the screen for Flat File Connection"
and do the wonderful steps that this article shows?

thanks,