From: Derril Lucci on
Hi everyone,
I am writing a program for my research that uses configuration files.
I was curious how to import these files into my ruby program. Any help
would be appreciated. If it helps, I am running ruby 1.9.

Cheers,
dlucci

From: gf on
What kind of configuration files? What format are they in? YAML, XML?

From: Derril Lucci on
Well, I am not too educated in configuration files. I was going to just
write it in ruby (thats the language I am working in). The
configuration file is being used to specify intervals in time. My
project is generating a report for SysAdmins and this will allow them to
specify the interval at which they want the reports to be compared.
Getting back to the main problem, I had thought it was either "require"
or "include", but both of those proved fruitless. Hope this info helps.

Cheers,
dlucci

From: Mario Antonetti on

If you could include a sample of the files' contents, it would be helpful.
require is used to access ruby libraries. What you are looking for is the
File class.
For example

File.open('config.txt').each do |line|
puts line
end

will spit out each line of a file.

From: Robert Klemme on
On 04/09/2010 03:53 AM, Derril Lucci wrote:
> Well, I am not too educated in configuration files. I was going to just
> write it in ruby (thats the language I am working in). The
> configuration file is being used to specify intervals in time. My
> project is generating a report for SysAdmins and this will allow them to
> specify the interval at which they want the reports to be compared.
> Getting back to the main problem, I had thought it was either "require"
> or "include", but both of those proved fruitless. Hope this info helps.

The simples approach is to use "load":

load File.join(ENV['HOME'], '.myconfrc')

file ~/.myconfrc:

$interval = 15

Kind regards

robert