From: Billy Patton on
First forgive the ramblings.
Second I have a 2 hour commute on a train daily and this is my train project.
My original project was done in wxxt-1.67 Quite a few years ago.
The project it a layout editor. Original was a proprietary ascii format in a lisp style. tons of ()
Since this database can have N rect, closed polygons, circles, donuts, center line figures, center point rectangles, text and text attached to any of the previously named preceeding I chose to do and API to the data. The API only passed back text, polygons and rect.
Since there can be millions of these figure types, I chose to draw into a bitmap, then blit to the screeen. One call to x-server not millions. I also chose to stay away from letting each sumbol be it's own object, figuring that millions of object would just slow down the whole procress. The original was done on a TI 35mgh notebook running slackware.
In doing this I maintained scale factors of the data,.
shiftX and shiftY to "move" the data around the bitmap.
Since the canvas 0,0 is at the upper left I had to convert all drawings so that it mirrored the data in the Y direction.
I did this via 2 functions
G2W -> Graphics to World
W2G -> World to Graphics
Every xy coord went through these. They accounted for scale, shift and canvas size. Even mouse movement went through these.

I'm now trying to adapt most of my functionality to wxWidgets and the methods of callback
Questions I need to answer.
1. Is the SetUserScale better than handling it my self?
If I use I would have to use GetUserScale to adjust the points for selecting data in the database.
2. Is there a way to relocate 0,0 on a canvas?
3. I would like to put a much better API between teh graphics and the data. I would like to use gdsii,LAFF,Oasis,OpenAccess and mebes, eventually. Anyone have a concept for how to do this?

I've looked through the samples and the contrib/samples to get ides of how to do get the canvas's and the onPaint functioning.

I don't believe I can eliminate the G2W or W2G

Here's a sample of what scale would have to look at
(ATTR 'UNITS'(
(TEXT '0.00100 MICRONS')))
(ATTR 'MINGRID'(
(TEXT '0.00100 0.00100')))

I've pulled down fl.pdf, gizmos.pdf, mmedai.pdf, ogl.pdf,svg.pdf, tes2rtf.pdf and wx.pdf. These are excellent references, althoug I only use wx.pdf.
I've done the tutorial. I have no problem with the frames, menus in the frames and the callback stuff. I've created the canvas, the bitmap within and the DC.
I understand the flow and why I did what I did 10 years ago, but am looking for something a little easier and less confusing. Hoping the wxWidgets have solved some of these problems.
From: Klaas Holwerda on
Billy Patton wrote:

> I'm now trying to adapt most of my functionality to wxWidgets and the
> methods of callback

So yopu should first go to wxArt2D, which has all you want, and more.
I wrote/ am writing a GDSII editor with it, but reading and displaying is already default in it.

> Questions I need to answer.
> 1. Is the SetUserScale better than handling it my self?

Best do it yourself with cashing coordinates array where coversion from world to device takes place.

> If I use I would have to use GetUserScale to adjust the points for
> selecting data in the database.
> 2. Is there a way to relocate 0,0 on a canvas?

I did it all in a device context above wxDC, that knows matrixes, very improtant in GDSII

> 3. I would like to put a much better API between teh graphics and the
> data. I would like to use gdsii,LAFF,Oasis,OpenAccess and mebes,
> eventually. Anyone have a concept for how to do this?

Yep, told you already.

> Here's a sample of what scale would have to look at
> (ATTR 'UNITS'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 MICRONS')))
> (ATTR 'MINGRID'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 0.00100')))

Same here.

Klaas

--
Unclassified

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Billy Patton on
Thanks, I'll take a close look at wxArt2D

Klaas Holwerda <db348(a)nl.thalesgroup.com> wrote: Billy Patton wrote:

> I'm now trying to adapt most of my functionality to wxWidgets and the
> methods of callback

So yopu should first go to wxArt2D, which has all you want, and more.
I wrote/ am writing a GDSII editor with it, but reading and displaying is already default in it.

> Questions I need to answer.
> 1. Is the SetUserScale better than handling it my self?

Best do it yourself with cashing coordinates array where coversion from world to device takes place.

> If I use I would have to use GetUserScale to adjust the points for
> selecting data in the database.
> 2. Is there a way to relocate 0,0 on a canvas?

I did it all in a device context above wxDC, that knows matrixes, very improtant in GDSII

> 3. I would like to put a much better API between teh graphics and the
> data. I would like to use gdsii,LAFF,Oasis,OpenAccess and mebes,
> eventually. Anyone have a concept for how to do this?

Yep, told you already.

> Here's a sample of what scale would have to look at
> (ATTR 'UNITS'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 MICRONS')))
> (ATTR 'MINGRID'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 0.00100')))

Same here.

Klaas

From: Billy Patton on
I'm part way through the introduction way cool!!!

Klaas Holwerda <db348(a)nl.thalesgroup.com> wrote: Billy Patton wrote:

> I'm now trying to adapt most of my functionality to wxWidgets and the
> methods of callback

So yopu should first go to wxArt2D, which has all you want, and more.
I wrote/ am writing a GDSII editor with it, but reading and displaying is already default in it.

> Questions I need to answer.
> 1. Is the SetUserScale better than handling it my self?

Best do it yourself with cashing coordinates array where coversion from world to device takes place.

> If I use I would have to use GetUserScale to adjust the points for
> selecting data in the database.
> 2. Is there a way to relocate 0,0 on a canvas?

I did it all in a device context above wxDC, that knows matrixes, very improtant in GDSII

> 3. I would like to put a much better API between teh graphics and the
> data. I would like to use gdsii,LAFF,Oasis,OpenAccess and mebes,
> eventually. Anyone have a concept for how to do this?

Yep, told you already.

> Here's a sample of what scale would have to look at
> (ATTR 'UNITS'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 MICRONS')))
> (ATTR 'MINGRID'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 0.00100')))

Same here.

Klaas

From: Billy Patton on
I'm running mingw of a pc.
I've build wxWidgets , samples and contrib without a problem.
But when I try and do the configure in wxArt2d I get the following error
checking for wxWidgets version >= 2.6.0... yes (version 2.8.0)
checking for wxWidgets static library... yes
checking if wxWidgets was built with UNICODE enabled... no
checking if wxWidgets was built in DEBUG mode... yes
checking if wxWidgets was built in STATIC mode... yes
checking if wxWidgets port is wxGTK... no
checking if wxWidgets port is wxMotif... no
checking if wxWidgets port is wxMac... no
checking if wxWidgets port is wxX11... no
checking if wxWidgets port is wxMGL... no
configure: error: Cannot detect the currently installed wxWidgets port !

A configure --h in wxWdigets gives me about ports
--with-gtk[=VERSION] use GTK+, VERSION can be 2 (default), 1 or "any"
--with-motif use Motif/Lesstif
--with-mac use Mac OS X
--with-cocoa use Cocoa
--with-wine use Wine
--with-msw use MS-Windows
--with-pm use OS/2 Presentation Manager
--with-mgl use SciTech MGL
--with-directfb use DirectFB
--with-microwin use MicroWindows
--with-x11 use X11
--with-libpng use libpng (PNG image format)
--with-libjpeg use libjpeg (JPEG file format)
--with-libtiff use libtiff (TIFF file format)
--with-libxpm use libxpm (XPM file format)
--with-libmspack use libmspack (CHM help files loading)
--with-sdl use SDL for audio on Unix
--with-gnomeprint use GNOME print for printing under GNOME
--with-gnomevfs use GNOME VFS for associating MIME types
--with-hildon use Hildon framework for Nokia 770
--with-opengl use OpenGL (or Mesa)
--with-themes=all|list use only the specified comma-separated list of wxUniversal themes
--with-dmalloc use dmalloc library (http://dmalloc.com/)
--with-regex enable support for wxRegEx class
--with-zlib use zlib for LZW compression
--with-odbc use the IODBC and wxODBC classes
--with-expat enable XML support using expat parser
--with-flavour=NAME specify a name to identify this build
--with-gtk-prefix=PFX Prefix where GTK is installed (optional)
--with-gtk-exec-prefix=PFX Exec prefix where GTK is installed (optional)
--with-x use the X Window System
--with-libiconv-prefix=DIR search for libiconv in DIR/include and DIR/lib
--with-sdl-prefix=PFX Prefix where SDL is installed (optional)
--with-sdl-exec-prefix=PFX Exec prefix where SDL is installed (optional)
--with-cppunit-prefix=PFX Prefix where CppUnit is installed (optional)
--with-cppunit-exec-prefix=PFX Exec prefix where CppUnit is installed (optional)

Which one of these am I supposed to use?

Klaas Holwerda <db348(a)nl.thalesgroup.com> wrote: Billy Patton wrote:

> I'm now trying to adapt most of my functionality to wxWidgets and the
> methods of callback

So yopu should first go to wxArt2D, which has all you want, and more.
I wrote/ am writing a GDSII editor with it, but reading and displaying is already default in it.

> Questions I need to answer.
> 1. Is the SetUserScale better than handling it my self?

Best do it yourself with cashing coordinates array where coversion from world to device takes place.

> If I use I would have to use GetUserScale to adjust the points for
> selecting data in the database.
> 2. Is there a way to relocate 0,0 on a canvas?

I did it all in a device context above wxDC, that knows matrixes, very improtant in GDSII

> 3. I would like to put a much better API between teh graphics and the
> data. I would like to use gdsii,LAFF,Oasis,OpenAccess and mebes,
> eventually. Anyone have a concept for how to do this?

Yep, told you already.

> Here's a sample of what scale would have to look at
> (ATTR 'UNITS'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 MICRONS')))
> (ATTR 'MINGRID'(
> (TEXT '0.00100 0.00100')))