From: Gabriel Gilini on
On 6 abr, 00:40, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/04/2010 12:10 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>
> > I love logic, BTW. I remember the first day of logic class when the
> > teacher wrote:
>
> > 1) if it rains, the grass will be wet
> > 2) the grass is wet
> > Therefore, it rained.
>
> Someone may have watered the grass using a watering can.
> A nearby river may broken its banks.
> The grass may have been covered with cling wrap and the wetness you're
> witnessing on the grass is from the grass itself...
> It may have been a cold night and the wetness is dew that had formed.

I'm guessing one of these represents Opera 6, right? :)
From: Garrett Smith on
Gabriel Gilini wrote:
> On 6 abr, 00:40, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/04/2010 12:10 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I love logic, BTW. I remember the first day of logic class when the
>>> teacher wrote:
>>> 1) if it rains, the grass will be wet
>>> 2) the grass is wet
>>> Therefore, it rained.
>> Someone may have watered the grass using a watering can.
>> A nearby river may broken its banks.
>> The grass may have been covered with cling wrap and the wetness you're
>> witnessing on the grass is from the grass itself...
>> It may have been a cold night and the wetness is dew that had formed.
>
> I'm guessing one of these represents Opera 6, right? :)
That one was "somebody peed."
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:

>>> You sound like a jQuery developer. The point is that there is a gaping
>>> hole in your logic.
>> The HTML class attribute multiple class names, separated by white space
>> (set W), which HTML 4.01 defines. That attribute is exposed to
>> javascript as `className`.
>>

> The logic in your _code_, professor.

It was a quick example that showed the point. I did not feature test
createElement.

The subject of when to feature test comes up now and again.

I do not check for `window`, `document`, `document.getElementById`, or
`document.createElement`.

A version of Opera had `document.createELement` but it did not work. I'd
rather forget such trivia along with Mac IE not supporting the `in`
operator or `hasOwnProperty`. I liken this knowledge to the grocery
clerk who has committed to memory the produce code for each and every
piece of produce in the store.

Take *that* to jquery...
--
Garrett
From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:53:07 -0700, Garrett Smith wrote:

>IE's problems with innerHTML are misfortunate. HTML 5 standardizes
>innerHTML with well defined behavior that differs from IE.

Have to read up on that, but unfortunately we cannot usually
ignore Internet Explorer, at least not version 6 and above, for
now.

That's why I wouldn't mind having a software version of
innerHTML that works on IE6 and up. Maybe I should write one.
It's a fair amount of work though, more or less a complete HTML
parser.

Hans-Georg