From: iNewbie on
Hi, i'm a bit confused.
I just installed sql 2008 r2 (build 1600) and i need to install the SP1 but
my doubt is, what is sql 2008 R2? is it sql 2008 + Service Pack 1? what
update does it include with the "r2"? do i have to install sp1 or it's
already included?

thanks!!
From: Andrew J. Kelly on
R2 is like a whole new version of 2008. Actually a half version :). It was
just released so all there is to load is the RTM version. There are no
service packs for it yet.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: iNewbie on
no service packs yet?
is it better that the rtm with sp1? do i have to install the rtm on top of
it? sorry if my question seems a little stupid but i cannot get to understand
what it is compared to sql 2008 rtm + sp1.

thanks!

From: John Bell on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 05:33:00 -0700, iNewbie
<iNewbie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, i'm a bit confused.
>I just installed sql 2008 r2 (build 1600) and i need to install the SP1 but
>my doubt is, what is sql 2008 R2? is it sql 2008 + Service Pack 1? what
>update does it include with the "r2"? do i have to install sp1 or it's
>already included?
>
>thanks!!

If you have SQL Express R2 the version number will be 10.50.1600.1 If
you have SQL Server 2008 RTM the version number will be 10.00.1600.22
SQL Server 2008 + SP1 should be version 10.00.2531.00

John
From: Dan Guzman on
> no service packs yet?

I hope not. It's less than a week old :-)

> is it better that the rtm with sp1? do i have to install the rtm on top of
> it? sorry if my question seems a little stupid but i cannot get to
> understand
> what it is compared to sql 2008 rtm + sp1.

SQL Server 2008 R2 is a completely new version and includes features not in
SQL Server 2008 RTM (+SPn). See the Books Online for details. As such, it
makes no sense to install an older version on top of it.

Personally, I don't see a reason not to go with R2 for a new install rather
than arbitrarily wait for the first service pack. I blogged my thoughts on
the subject regarding SQL 2008 and the same applies to subsequent releases:

href="http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/archive/2009/04/19/Not-Before-Service-Pack-1.aspx">

I think a better approach is to adopt new releases based on quality as
determined in one's own environment. Whether the target is a new SQL Server
installation or an upgrade of an existing instance, one still needs to
perform testing before installing any new version, service pack or patch in
production. It is those test results that should determine production
readiness, not the results of SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel').

</Quote>

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman