From: peter on
I have SSPI error for the sql server, I could not solve the problem, so I
uninstalled sql server 2005 and sql server 2005 express from add/remove
programs. Then I installed sql server 2005 first. I got an error when
installing sample application, it said I did not have administrator
permission. Although I did not logon as admin, I am a member of
administrator. I didn't understand what was the real problem, so I skipped
the procedure.

I continued to install the sp1 for the sql server 2005, then I got error
that says "your account information could not be verified for one or more
instances.

ensure that you can connect to all the selected instances using the account
information provided. to proceed further deselect the instances to which
connectivity cannot be established." This was for sql server service and
report service.

During insstall the sql server, I chose the windows authentication and local
system.

Then I tried to run my c# program, I got the error: "A network-related or
instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL
Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the
instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)"

I guess that the sql server uninstallation probably was not completed, so
the sql server sometimes looks at the old setting then causes the trouble.

What should I do solve the problem?

Thanks

Peter

From: Erland Sommarskog on
peter (petershaw8(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> I continued to install the sp1 for the sql server 2005, then I got error
> that says "your account information could not be verified for one or more
> instances.

SP1? Why not SP3?

> Then I tried to run my c# program, I got the error: "A network-related or
> instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL
> Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the
> instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote
> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> Server/Instance Specified)"
>
> I guess that the sql server uninstallation probably was not completed, so
> the sql server sometimes looks at the old setting then causes the trouble.

Are you running the C# program on the same machine as SQL Server?

Did you install a default instance or a named instance? What does your
conncection string say?

Have you verified in SQL Server Configuration Manager that SQL Server is
running?

Links for SQL Server Books Online: