From: "Armel" armelasselin on
Hello,

I am developping an FTP client software (using libcurl), and would like to
test it against the maximum of servers, so as to ensure maximum
compatilibity.
I am clearly not a guru of FTP servers installation, and in Ubuntu whenever
I want to install another FTP server Synaptic wants to uninstall the
previous.
how can I install several servers (at least proftpd, pureftpd,vsftpd,
probably filezilla server...) ?

Best regards
Armel

From: Bill Marcum on
On 2010-03-24, Armel <armelasselin> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developping an FTP client software (using libcurl), and would like to
> test it against the maximum of servers, so as to ensure maximum
> compatilibity.
> I am clearly not a guru of FTP servers installation, and in Ubuntu whenever
> I want to install another FTP server Synaptic wants to uninstall the
> previous.
> how can I install several servers (at least proftpd, pureftpd,vsftpd,
> probably filezilla server...) ?
>
> Best regards
> Armel

You could install them in virtual machines, or build them from source
code so you can install each in its own directory. FTP servers normally
all use the same ports, so you will probably only run one at a time. It
could take just a minute or to to uninstall one and install another, if
you keep the .deb files and install them with "dpkg -i". When you use
aptitude or synaptic, .deb files are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives,
but they may be automatically deleted from there.

--
THEY'RE IN UR BED, EATING UR DREAMZ
From: "Armel" armelasselin on

"Bill Marcum" <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de news:
s6qp77-pbp.ln1(a)marcumbill.bellsouth.net...
> On 2010-03-24, Armel <armelasselin> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am developping an FTP client software (using libcurl), and would like
>> test it against the maximum of servers, so as to ensure maximum
>> compatilibity.
>> I am clearly not a guru of FTP servers installation, and in Ubuntu
>> whenever
>> I want to install another FTP server Synaptic wants to uninstall the
>> previous.
>> how can I install several servers (at least proftpd, pureftpd,vsftpd,
>> probably filezilla server...) ?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Armel
>
> You could install them in virtual machines, or build them from source
> code so you can install each in its own directory. FTP servers normally
> all use the same ports, so you will probably only run one at a time. It
> could take just a minute or to to uninstall one and install another, if
> you keep the .deb files and install them with "dpkg -i". When you use
> aptitude or synaptic, .deb files are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives,
> but they may be automatically deleted from there.
It is already one virtual machine, because I test also against Windows FTP
servers, probably Solaris as well soon.
I believe i'll have to get the "make configure" way...

Best regards
Armel

From: Antoine EMERIT on
You can install them all, and then change the servers ports in their
configuration files (or in inetd.conf/xinetd.conf if they don't run in
standalone mode).