From: Andreas Moroder on
Hello,

I am searching for instsrv.exe & srvany.exe for windows XP to run as exe
as service. Can anyone please tell where I can download them ?
I found the win 2003 resource kir, the 2000 and evene the NT but not a
XP Version.

Thanks
Andreas
From: John John - MVP on
Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am searching for instsrv.exe & srvany.exe for windows XP to run as exe
> as service. Can anyone please tell where I can download them ?
> I found the win 2003 resource kir, the 2000 and evene the NT but not a
> XP Version.

Use the ones from the Server 2003 Resource Kit.

John
From: VanguardLH on
Andreas Moroder wrote:

> I am searching for instsrv.exe & srvany.exe for windows XP to run as exe
> as service. Can anyone please tell where I can download them ?
> I found the win 2003 resource kir, the 2000 and evene the NT but not a
> XP Version.

There is no Windows XP Resource Kit. The Windows 2000 Server Resource
Kit gets used under Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ResKit/win2000/

This lists *some* but not all of the utilities in the W2K RK. I don't
think srvany is included. Since you "found" the W2K RK, just use that.
I did find:

http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm

which has srvany but remember that this is a 3rd party source. Does
this background process you want to run as a service actually have
absolutely no user input or prompts? If it does, it can't run as a
service. Why not just add the program as a startup item either by
adding it to the HKCU/HKLM Run registry key, as a login script, as a
Startup folder item, or a scheduled event in Task Scheduler that loads
on login? What is running it as an NT service going to give you?

Pages: 1
Prev: newsgroups empty
Next: Task manager is disabled