From: Kenneth Bull on
Does 1/root(sinx) have an antiderivative?
From: Robert Israel on

> Does 1/root(sinx) have an antiderivative?

I assume you mean the square root. Yes, of course it does (on any interval of
real numbers or simply-connected complex domain where it is continuous).
If you want an explicit one, for 0 < x < pi/2 try
F(x) = sqrt(2)*EllipticF(sqrt(2*sin(x)/(1+sin(x))), 1/sqrt(2))
(using Maple's conventions for elliptic functions: Mathematica's answer
will look different).
--
Robert Israel israel(a)math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
From: Kenneth Bull on
I am trying to do definite integral of 1/sqrt(sinx) from 0 to pi/2,
do I have to use an improper integral since sinx not defined at 0 ?
From: Kenneth Bull on
I mean, 1/root(sinx) not defined at 0
From: David W. Cantrell on
Kenneth Bull <kenneth.bull(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to do definite integral of 1/sqrt(sinx) from 0 to pi/2,
> do I have to use an improper integral since sinx not defined at 0 ?

Well, yes, it's an "improper" integral. Its value can be expressed nicely
using the Gamma function:

2 sqrt(pi) Gamma(5/4)/Gamma(3/4)

which is 2.622057554...

As you could deduce from Robert's earlier response, its value can also be
expressed in terms of an elliptic integral.

David