From: John Larkin on

http://www.ecomotors.com/technology

John

From: Nunya on
On Jul 22, 8:29 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> http://www.ecomotors.com/technology
>
> John

Sorry, but the reciprocating engine has enough moving parts already.
This is overkill, and would have some serious losses, I would think.
Gimmie a single piston per journal/per jug any day.

The wankel is the epitome of internal combustion engine. That is,
of course, unless you can get jet turbine engines in miniature form.

I'd like to see this engine maxed out for a drag race motor. Then
see how long the thing would last. I'll bet that it has a high
maintenance schedule. Way overkill. Way expensive. Likely be
way problematic too.
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:10:11 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
<jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On Jul 22, 8:29�am, John Larkin
><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> http://www.ecomotors.com/technology
>>
>> John
>
> Sorry, but the reciprocating engine has enough moving parts already.
>This is overkill, and would have some serious losses, I would think.
>Gimmie a single piston per journal/per jug any day.
>
> The wankel is the epitome of internal combustion engine. That is,
>of course, unless you can get jet turbine engines in miniature form.
>
> I'd like to see this engine maxed out for a drag race motor. Then
>see how long the thing would last. I'll bet that it has a high
>maintenance schedule. Way overkill. Way expensive. Likely be
>way problematic too.

The upper piston thing eliminates the valve train, so it's a wash at
least on complexity. It's intended for efficiency, not drag racing.
Drag engines aren't efficient and they don't last long.

John

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/22/2010 08:29 AM, John Larkin wrote:

> http://www.ecomotors.com/technology

Few of those "new and innovative" "green" engines are doing anything
newer than rehashes of basic concepts that were tried and abandoned*
before 1910.

You could probably make an industry out of resurrecting old patents for
engines, painting the prototypes green, and extracting investment money
(not to mention government grants) from starry-eyed rich people with too
much cash, not enough grounding in basic mechanics, and feelings of
environmental guilt.

Once you get past "suck squeeze pop phooey" there's not much fundamental
change you can make to an internal combustion engine.

* Or that spectacularly failed in the open market.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/22/2010 09:28 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:10:11 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
> <jack_shephard(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 22, 8:29 am, John Larkin
>> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.ecomotors.com/technology
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Sorry, but the reciprocating engine has enough moving parts already.
>> This is overkill, and would have some serious losses, I would think.
>> Gimmie a single piston per journal/per jug any day.
>>
>> The wankel is the epitome of internal combustion engine. That is,
>> of course, unless you can get jet turbine engines in miniature form.
>>
>> I'd like to see this engine maxed out for a drag race motor. Then
>> see how long the thing would last. I'll bet that it has a high
>> maintenance schedule. Way overkill. Way expensive. Likely be
>> way problematic too.
>
> The upper piston thing eliminates the valve train, so it's a wash at
> least on complexity.

IOW it's the Junkers Jumo concept with the twin cranks and their
difficult mechanical coupling replaced by a single crank and a difficult
mechanical linkage to the outer pistons.

And it has the added feature that the linkage to the outer pistons is
placed in a way that makes it hard to add two more cylinders, and damn
near impossible to add more than that. Ooh -- clever.

_Not_ a thrilling new idea. Just a rehash of an old one. Maybe a good
rehash of a good old idea (the opposed-piston engines had a long and
successful run in the marketplace), maybe a bad one, but a rehash none
the less.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services