From: Komuch on
Hi,

How can I rename interface in gentoo ?

I have many ppp interfaces (pppoe server) and I want to rename them
(e.g. ppp0 -> ppp0-hans or ppp0-10.1.1.10)

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
From: Clifford Kite on
Komuch <komuch@--usun-to--komuch.pl> wrote:
> Hi,

> How can I rename interface in gentoo ?

> I have many ppp interfaces (pppoe server) and I want to rename them
> (e.g. ppp0 -> ppp0-hans or ppp0-10.1.1.10)

A while back I was able to use ifrename from the wireless_tools.27
package to do this. That is not a gentoo package per se, and may
or may not be included in gentoo.

Example:
~# <start pppd as usual>
~# ifconfig ppp0 down
~# ifrename -i ppp0 -n dsl0
dsl0
~# ifconfig dsl0 up
~# route add default dsl0

A new default route is necessary since the old default routing via ppp0
went away when the interface was taken down.

--
Clifford Kite
From: Paul Colquhoun on
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:06:03 +0200, Komuch <komuch@--USUN-TO--komuch.pl> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| How can I rename interface in gentoo ?
|
| I have many ppp interfaces (pppoe server) and I want to rename them
| (e.g. ppp0 -> ppp0-hans or ppp0-10.1.1.10)
|
| Thanks for any help.

I use UDEV to rename my ethernet interfaces, it might work for PPP
stuff, I don't know. This was to work around a "feature" where different
kernel versions found the physical interfaces on my motherboard in a
different order, so eth0 moved around. UDEV let me tie the name to the
MAC address and keep things stable.

The procedure is at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Customizing_UDEV#Example:_Writing_a_rule_to_name_my_network_interface

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first: