From: Seebs on
On 2010-01-25, frank <frank(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> Ok, cool. Is it for ordinary mortals to know the files that gcc uses to
> obtain these macros or is it underneath the hood? I've been reading
> gccint today, and the information I'm asking for is probably in there,
> but I've got a lot of reading to do there if I'm to get something useful
> out of it.

I'd call that under-the-hood. I don't remember for sure off the top of
my head whether all of them even exist in files, or whether some of them
are actually compiled into the binary.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Seebs on
On 2010-01-25, frank <frank(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> You will likely find, when you read the ?gcc(1)? man page, that the ?-?
>> argument is specifying that the program's main input is to be read from
>> the process's standard input, instead of a named file.

> It certainly does. Can we talk about the hyphen in the middle that
> doesn't seem to do anything?

Read that paragraph.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, frank <frank(a)example.invalid> wrote:

[delete]

> It certainly does. Can we talk about the hyphen in the middle
> that doesn't seem to do anything?

It makes gcc dump the output to standard out,

Try

tar cfp - /some/dir # make it a dir with only a few short
# text files in it.

(and be prepared for the tty/pty you are using to be trashed
Ctrl-\ should bring things to a halt)

Why the input to gcc is from /dev/null, I couldn't tell
you.

Sid

From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On comp.unix.shell, frank <frank(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>
> [delete]
>
>> It certainly does. Can we talk about the hyphen in the middle
>> that doesn't seem to do anything?
>
> It makes gcc dump the output to standard out,
>
> Try
>
> tar cfp - /some/dir # make it a dir with only a few short
> # text files in it.

Make that tar cpf (or just cf)

Sid

From: Seebs on
On 2010-01-25, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> It makes gcc dump the output to standard out,

Actually, it makes gcc compile standard input instead of a file.
gcc -E already defaults to stdout if you didn't specify something
with -o.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net