From: Pascal Costanza on
On 31/07/2010 20:09, Captain Obvious wrote:
> What's about PAIP?

It's an excellent book.

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:54:28 +0200, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> On 31/07/2010 20:09, Captain Obvious wrote:
>> What's about PAIP?
>
> It's an excellent book.

Indeed it is, but it does a lot more than discuss CL per se: it gives
an intro to AI. While that is interesting in its own right, it might
be a distraction for some people who just want to learn CL and don't
plan to use it for AI or related fields. I liked PAIP very much, but
I would recommend PCL as the first book, then ANSI CL and On Lisp
after that.

Tamas
From: Antti J Ylikoski on
31.7.2010 23:54, Pascal Costanza kirjoitti:
> On 31/07/2010 20:09, Captain Obvious wrote:
>> What's about PAIP?
>
> It's an excellent book.

I indeed agree. For about a month ago, I finished reading the PAIP
book, and finished running (much of) the LISP code, with the Allegro
Common LISP (the Express edition), and I think that the PAIP book is
definitely one of the best scientific books I ever have read.

regards, Antti J Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
From: Captain Obvious on
??>>> What's about PAIP?

??>> It's an excellent book.

I concur.

TKP> Indeed it is, but it does a lot more than discuss CL per se: it gives
TKP> an intro to AI. While that is interesting in its own right, it might
TKP> be a distraction for some people who just want to learn CL and don't

One can read only the first part...

TKP> plan to use it for AI or related fields.

A lot of that "A.I." stuff is just a bunch of interesting general purpose
algorithms, perhaps slighly reformulated.
It absolutely won't hurt to learn them and I think they are not too A.I.
specific -- that is, a lot of it can be adapted to real-worlds problems.

TKP> I liked PAIP very much, but I would recommend PCL as the first book,
TKP> then ANSI CL and On Lisp after that.

I find Graham's programming style kind of too unusual to be recommeneded as
a learning material.

OTOH Norvig's style programming style is just excellent, perhaps, the best
I've seen.

From: D Herring on
On 07/30/2010 09:55 AM, ccc31807 wrote:

> I'm also writing this disappointed at the delay of Levine's O'Reilly
> project.

FYI, Nick had to drop the project due to poor health. A few chapters
are available online.
http://lisp-book.org/contents/

- Daniel