From: Bjorn Helgaas on
On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:28:28 am Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On 07/27/2010 10:23 AM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >> Sun Fire X4800.
> >>
> >> Yes. other OSes work and pass certification.
> >
> > Please put this information in the changelog (if that wasn't obvious).
>
> I don't want to mention other os.

Sigh. Why is this so difficult?

It's very useful to know which other OSes work and *how* they work.
If another OS (particularly a popular one like Windows) works, and we
know it's using the ACPI namespace, that tells us we need a change
like yours. If another OS works but is using SPMI, that tells us
nothing about whether we should make this change.

If no other OS uses the namespace, then we might be adding a Linux
change just to deal with a firmware defect on this machine, and that
sort of change could easily break other machines.

I don't think that's the case here; I think we *should* make the
change you're proposing. But it's just a good practice to be
diligent about documenting the reasons for the changes we make.

Bjorn
From: Andrew Morton on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:41:10 -0600
Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas(a)hp.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:28:28 am Yinghai Lu wrote:

> > > Please put this information in the changelog (if that wasn't obvious).
> >
> > I don't want to mention other os.
>
> Sigh. Why is this so difficult?

It wasn't for me ;)

Do we have acks for 2.6.36 and a -stable backport on this patch?

From: Yinghai Lu on
On 07/28/2010 12:22 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:41:10 -0600
> Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas(a)hp.com> wrote:

>>> I don't want to mention other os.
>>
>> Sigh. Why is this so difficult?
>
> It wasn't for me ;)
>
> Do we have acks for 2.6.36 and a -stable backport on this patch?

Matthew Garrett <mjg(a)redhat.com>
gave ack to it.

looks like Matthew's patch only get into 2.6.35.

So we need it for 2.6.35 and later.

Thanks

Yinghai