From: mar on
I know that sha1(secret + m) is insecure construction and it may be
possible to construct sha1(secret + m + m') without knowing secret.
However, is it possible to compute sha1(secret + m') without knowing
secret where m' may contain some bits from m, if m is known by
inverting the operations of SHA1. If this is possible, then under what
conditions? such as should length of secret be known or m has to be at
least 1 block size, etc.

Thanks.
From: Greg Rose on
In article <8da37fa1-05c8-4dbf-804c-fd73dea1fed8(a)x1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
mar <marvind434(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I know that sha1(secret + m) is insecure construction and it may be
>possible to construct sha1(secret + m + m') without knowing secret.
>However, is it possible to compute sha1(secret + m') without knowing
>secret where m' may contain some bits from m, if m is known by
>inverting the operations of SHA1. If this is possible, then under what
>conditions? such as should length of secret be known or m has to be at
>least 1 block size, etc.

I think the answer is no, but it might be yes
except that we don't know how. At least we know it
is computationally intractable but possible. I
think.

Greg.

--
Greg Rose
232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C