From: Jack Diederich on
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:01:23 -0400, Rolando Espinoza La Fuente wrote:

>>> Well nothing I'm just kind of bewildered: I'd expect smth like that in
>>> Perl, but not in Python.. Although I can understand the rationale after
>>> skimming PEP 285, I still don't like it very much.
>>>

>> So, the pythonic way to check for True/False should be:

>> False
>
> Why do you need to check for True/False?

You should never check for "is" False/True but always check for
equality. The reason is that many types support the equality (__eq__)
and boolen (__bool__ in 3x) protocols. If you check equality these
will be invoked, if you check identity ("is") they won't.

-Jack
From: Terry Reedy on
On 3/5/2010 1:30 PM, MRAB wrote:
>> True

>> True
>>
>> Huh?

>> True
>>
>> Huh?!
>>
> Python didn't have Booleans originally, 0 and 1 were used instead. When
> bool was introduced it was made a subclass of int so that existing code
> wouldn't break.

And because it is useful to make it so.

Terry Jan Reedy

From: Robert Kern on
On 2010-03-05 14:58 PM, Jack Diederich wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> So, the pythonic way to check for True/False should be:

>>> False
>>
>> Why do you need to check for True/False?
>>

> You should never check for "is" False/True but always check for
> equality. The reason is that many types support the equality (__eq__)
> and boolen (__bool__ in 3x) protocols. If you check equality these
> will be invoked, if you check identity ("is") they won't.

It depends on what you're doing. mk seems to want to distinguish booleans from
other objects from some reason.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:58:01 -0500, Jack Diederich wrote:

>>> So, the pythonic way to check for True/False should be:

>>> False
>>
>> Why do you need to check for True/False?
>>

> You should never check for "is" False/True but always check for
> equality. The reason is that many types support the equality (__eq__)
> and boolen (__bool__ in 3x) protocols. If you check equality these will
> be invoked, if you check identity ("is") they won't.

Never say never.

If you specifically want to test for True or False themselves, accepting
no substitutes, then using "is" is the obvious way, and using "==" is
clearly and obviously wrong because it does accept substitutes:

>>> 1.0 == True
True
>>> decimal.Decimal(0, 1) == False
True

--
Steven
From: Jack Diederich on
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> Why do you need to check for True/False?
>>>

>> You should never check for "is" False/True but always check for
>> equality.  The reason is that many types support the equality (__eq__)
>> and boolen (__bool__ in 3x) protocols.  If you check equality these will
>> be invoked, if you check identity ("is") they won't.
>
> Never say never.
>
> If you specifically want to test for True or False themselves, accepting
> no substitutes, then using "is" is the obvious way, and using "==" is
> clearly and obviously wrong because it does accept substitutes:

> True
> True

Yes, obviously if you _really_ mean to test if something has the
object identity of True or False then an "is" test is the way to go.
I'm just not sure why you would ever do that. Also, I'm not sure how
your assertion matches up with the examples; The examples test for
equality with a float that returns true for __eq__ and a Decimal that
returns false for __eq__. Both "1.0" and "Decimal(0, 1)" will return
False if the test is "is True" or "is False."

-Jack
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: python on a thumb drive?