From: brako on
I am running Windows 2003 SBS. Exchange is accepting mail from outside on
port 25, but for outgoing mail I have a smarthost through another service
provider. A few days ago verizon blocked port 25 out so I have all my
messages queued. There is no way to change tcp port on the SMTP connectior,
but there is a way to do it on the Virtual SMTP. If I change the tcp port on
SMTP server I will be able to send, but will not be able to recive since my
smtp server will not be listening on port 25.

What can I do in this suttuation?

2 virual SMTP servers with different tcp ports?

Thanks

From: M on
Hello:

Interesting situation. I have never run into this. There is a difference
between the listening port and the outbound port--see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274842/.

Anyway, what you suggested makes sense. From what I can figure, you'd
basically do this:

- Verify which outbound ports are allowed and which ones the smart host
service accepts and then use that as your new outbound port for the
connector.
- Add another IP address to your server.
- Create a new SMTP VS and assign the new IP address to it.
- Change the outbound port on the new SMTP VS to what you determined in the
first step.
- In the SMTP connector for the smarthost, change it to use the new SMTP VS
instead of the default one.
I don't believe anything needs to be restarted for the change to take
effect.

I think this is the safest way because you won't have to interfere with the
default SMTP VS.

Here are some notes I made on SMTP connectors and VSs:

There is some overlap between SMTP Connectors and SMTP Virtual Servers. It's
preferred to create an SMTP Connector to route your outbound Internet e-mail
(either directly or via a smart host). A connector will allow you to add
SMTP Virtual Servers to it so that multiple SMTP Virtual Servers can deliver
outbound Internet mail and the settings within the connector will overwrite
comparable settings in the SMTP Virtual Servers.

You can only use SMTP Connectors for outbound e-mail. So the most likely
scenario would be to create an SMTP Connector and add your routing servers'
SMTP Virtual Servers to it for routing outbound Internet e-mail. You can
specify a smart host(s) in the connector or have the servers route directly
to the Internet.

SMTP Virtual Servers can be use to both receive and send. You can assign a
unique IP address to an SMTP Virtual Server and point all inbound e-mails to
that. SMTP Connectors can't be assigned IP addresses, so that's one reason
why you can't point to them for inbound e-mail.

Note that by default all Exchange 200x servers have one SMTP Virtual Server
named Default SMTP Virtual Server. This is required for Exchange to
function. You can create new SMTP Virtual Servers for specific purposes, but
as mentioned, the use of SMTP Connectors is preferred in most cases, so
creating additional SMTP Virtual Servers is not a common practice.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:58:01 -0400, "brako"
<brako(a)noemailaddress.atall> wrote:

>I am running Windows 2003 SBS. Exchange is accepting mail from outside on
>port 25, but for outgoing mail I have a smarthost through another service
>provider. A few days ago verizon blocked port 25 out so I have all my
>messages queued. There is no way to change tcp port on the SMTP connectior,
>but there is a way to do it on the Virtual SMTP. If I change the tcp port on
>SMTP server I will be able to send, but will not be able to recive since my
>smtp server will not be listening on port 25.
>
>What can I do in this suttuation?

1. Stop using a residential service, or
2. Use the ISP's SMTP relay server.
3. Have the ISP unbloxk your use of port 25.

Receiving your mail will be difficult unless you can use port 25, so
see #1 above.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: brako on
1. I am not 100% sure, but i think Verizon blocks 25 on the business side as
well.

2. ISP's SMTP was moved from 25 to 587

3. Not an option as it was a global change on Verizon's network.

Solution: As mentioned in another post Sending and Receiving SMTP ports can
be changed.

I kept Receiving/Listening Port as 25 (inbound is not blocked) and changed
Outbound to 587

Delivery Tab -> Outbound Connections -> TCP Port

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:43:31 -0400, "brako"
<brako(a)noemailaddress.atall> wrote:

>1. I am not 100% sure, but i think Verizon blocks 25 on the business side as
>well.

They'd be insane to do that -- unless make you use their SMTP relay.
But then they'd have to make all PTR records for all the SMTP relays
resolve to the names of the SMTP clients, which is pretty impossible.

>2. ISP's SMTP was moved from 25 to 587

Port 587 is a 'submission' port for clients to, well, submit e-mail
for delivery. It's no intended for use by SMTP servers which us port
25 as the 'sending' port.

>3. Not an option as it was a global change on Verizon's network.

For residential service? Yeah, I can understand that.

>Solution: As mentioned in another post Sending and Receiving SMTP ports can
>be changed.
>
>I kept Receiving/Listening Port as 25 (inbound is not blocked) and changed
>Outbound to 587

So you're using their SMTP relay to send e-mail? Okay. Just hope they
haven't instituted any limits on the quantity of e-mail you can
submit. Remember, port 587 is a submission port for individual
clients, not a sending port for a server.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP