From: David Mark on
On Jun 2, 8:42 am, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 8:53 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > I wonder whether it might be better to just state the expected
> > (technically correct) result, then the actual (jQuery) result and why
> > jQuery fails on the first attempt regardless of which answers are
> > given. Requiring visitors to "pass" the test to get to the interesting
> > part may distract from the valuable point being made.
>
> Agreed. Obviously the point of this is to highlight the failings of
> jQuery, but doing it in such a "sarcastic" way is annoying. I'd like
> to see a page that just lists what jQuery gets wrong, rather than
> making me study a test and pick answers.

As you well know, such a list would be quite voluminous and would vary
from one browser/configuration (as well as jQuery version) to the
next. Running this in multiple browsers (and reading my previous
posts in this thread) should be enough:-

http://www.cinsoft.net/slickspeed.html
From: Garrett Smith on
On 6/2/2010 5:55 AM, Gregor Kofler wrote:
> Am 2010-06-02 00:05, nick meinte:
>
>> Got some issues with the scoring...
>>
>> "Good job! After just 1 try, you got all 10 questions right!"
>>
>> ..but I only got two right (7 and 9). Now I'm really curious what the
>> right answers were? I'm guessing the non-strings are allowed, and the
>> image inputs are getting treated as img tags or vice versa?
>
> I was congratulated with the same message and had one out of ten right.
> I'm somewhat puzzled what this quiz is all about...

The tally bug was fixed yesterday.

Regarding what this quiz is about, that's covered in the page:

| Given the current version of jQuery, jQuery 1.4.2, the following
| example code, and the list of browsers below, determine which elements
| are matched by jQuery in each problem. The code appears in a valid
| HTML document, with the following CSS applied, and no other scripts.
|
| Many of the question answers use the language "element from line n".
| This is to be interpreted as: "The element created from parsing line
| n."
|
| You are free to use the jQuery API documentation as well as w3c
| documents Selectors Level 3, CSS 2.1, and any other online
| documentation.

That got changed from "free to use" to "encouraged to use" but the
change in the JSP was not picked up by Tomcat (TC misconfiguration).

| At the bottom of the test are links to the example documents that show
| the actual outcome of running the code in both quirks and in standards
| mode.
|
| Example Code
[ ...

| Why Include CSS for a Selectors Quiz Example?
|
| Selectors Level 3 selects nodes based in the DOM (regardless of CSS).
|
| JQuery.com claims that jQuery is CSS3 compliant, and so if that is
| true, then the CSS can be disregarded as irrelevant.

That right there ought to be a big clue.

Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
On 6/2/2010 5:42 AM, Matt Kruse wrote:
> On Jun 1, 8:53 pm, RobG<rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> I wonder whether it might be better to just state the expected
>> (technically correct) result, then the actual (jQuery) result and why
>> jQuery fails on the first attempt regardless of which answers are
>> given. Requiring visitors to "pass" the test to get to the interesting
>> part may distract from the valuable point being made.
>
> Agreed. Obviously the point of this is to highlight the failings of
> jQuery, but doing it in such a "sarcastic" way is annoying. I'd like
> to see a page that just lists what jQuery gets wrong, rather than
> making me study a test and pick answers. I don't have time for that,
> and I don't think most people who might actually benefit from the
> knowledge will take the time to actually do it.

I got that you feel the quiz is sarcastic.

Perhaps I a simple explanation page instead that is more straightforward
would be easier to digest.

I was authoring the quiz making sure that the selectors in the questions
were simple and something of a common use case and that the example code
is very simple (9 lines of HTML only), so that most jQuery users would
be able to provide some answer.

I did not set out to write edge cases, but simply went with what jQuery
had tweeted about.

https://twitter.com/jquery/status/13674858690

| Some Good and Advanced jQuery Techniques - http://bit.ly/dli5EN

The jQuery-tweeted article espouses the use of img[width=600] to get
"All the images whose width is 600px" -- and it does that in a few
browsers, depending on the rendering mode and depending on the CSS but
when tested across all the browsers supported by jQuery, the results
vary widely. Moreover, matching "all elements whose width is 600px" is
not consistent with CSS3 Selectors.

I did not think that it would be annoying at all, but apparently I was
being inconsiderate to the reader.

I'll try and put together a write up highlighting the problems.

Garrett