From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Matt Kruse wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 11:34 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The various
>>> globals (e.g. E, Q, D, W) are actually constructors, which allows for
>>> leveraging all of the wonderful OO features included in all ES
>>> implementations (see F and I for examples).
>>
>> With so many globals, I would suggest giving them full names as well
>> as the single-letter identifiers. E===Element, etc
>>
> That would conflict with any code that uses:-
>
> Element.prototype.myFunc = [...]

Yes. It will likely end up as MyElement, MyForm, MyImage, MyDocument, etc.

var myEl = MyElement('#test');
From: David Mark on
Stevo wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Stevo wrote:

>>> Is it really called "My Library" ?
>>
>> Yes it is.
>
> That'll lead to some fun discussions :) Like calling your band "That
> Band" and calling your first album "Their First Album". You can imagine
> the fun when people go into the record store :)

My Library is not available in stores. :)

> Scenario:
>
> Guy 1: Did you use jQuery or My Library?

That will be a moot question soon enough.

> Guy 2: Oh, *you* have a library?
> Guy 1: No, why do you ask?
>
> :-)

Yes. Verbally, David Mark's library will suffice (though it perverts
the meaning of the name). ;)

> Good luck with it.

Thanks, but I don't believe in luck.

> It will be amazing to have a library that people on
> here actually approve of.

Well, there are different levels of approval. Lets just say that nobody
here will rip it to shreds (or complain about browser compatibility).
And, of course, I'm here to answer or act on any complaints, rather than
off in some fantasy world basking in ignorance.

> Although, when there's a 10 message back and
> forth just on what the word consise means, it'll be tough.

Yes, that was an unfortunate waste of time. :(
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 22, 3:02 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guy 1: Did you use jQuery or My Library?
> That will be a moot question soon enough.

I agree, though probably in a different way than you.

I'm curious, do you have any predictions? Goals? Time lines? What
exactly are you trying to accomplish and how will you know if you've
achieved it?

Matt Kruse
From: David Mark on
Matt Kruse wrote:
> On Jan 22, 3:02 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Guy 1: Did you use jQuery or My Library?
>> That will be a moot question soon enough.
>
> I agree, though probably in a different way than you.

Probably.

> I'm curious, do you have any predictions?

The sun will rise tomorrow.

> Goals? Time lines?

What are those?

> What
> exactly are you trying to accomplish and how will you know if you've
> achieved it?

I don't know. Do you know why you do everything? The short-term
results has been a couple of new clients. I'm happy with that for the
moment. Destroying jQuery (and everything like it) would be a plus as
well. The world is really better off without such scripts. ;)
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 22, 2:38 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt Kruse wrote:
>>> And take a guess which is faster.  Rather, don't guess but try the the
>>> Speed Test.
>
>> Have you? Will you post the results?
>
> Huh?  The Speed Test on my site.  I've ran it in everything from IE8 to
> FF1 (and most in between). My Library kills its contemporaries (the
> further back you go, the larger the margin).

Are you referring to this?:

http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-testspeed.html

Because I see several problems with it. If not, could you let us know
what page we should examine?

The first problem I see is that you're comparing an up-to-date version
of My Library with a version of MooTools that came out in November,
2007, a version of Prototype from January, 2008, and a version of
JQuery from May, 2008. That is certainly enough to invalidate the
results in the fast-moving world of JS libraries.

Second of all, although slickspeed has numerous faults, it has
performed at least one useful service to the ecosystem of CSS selector
engines: it has helped to standardize the collection of selectors
libraries are expected to support. Instead of adding support for
these selectors, you simply remove 30% of the tests from the original
slickspeed. Five of those removed selectors cause errors in My
Library in recent versions of Firefox, Opera, and Webkit-based
browsers.

And third, even among those selectors tested, there are two ("*", and
"div + div") for which My Library returns different values in every
browser than do the other libraries. I haven't gone and counted, and
perhaps My Library is correct, but I'd be surprised if each of the
other libraries got it wrong, yet all got identical values.

I made two new versions based on the original slickspeed [1]. The
first one keeps intact the original selectors. It's at

http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/slickspeed/2010-01-22a/

I used the latest versions of Dojo, JQuery, MooTools, and Prototype
from:

http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/

and the version of My Library posted here:

http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib-min.js

My results, all on Win XP SP2 (results in milliseconds, low numbers
are better):

Chrome 3.0.195.27 : Dojo - 4, JQ - 3, Moo - 56, Proto - 7, MyLib -
30
FF 3.5.7 : Dojo - 58, JQ - 40, Moo - 105, Proto - 58,
MyLib - 75
IE 8 : Dojo - 16, JQ - 16, Moo - 405, Proto - 282,
MyLib - 46
Opera 9.64 : Dojo - 30, JQ - 0, Moo - 94, Proto - 16, MyLib
- 0
Safari 4.0.3 : Dojo - 27, JQ - 25, Moo - 56, Proto - 30,
MyLib - 40

The second version uses the set of selectors from the My Library
page. It's at

http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/slickspeed/2010-01-22b/

With the same testing configuration, my results were:

Chrome 3.0.195.27 : Dojo - 4, JQ - 3, Moo - 23, Proto - 13, MyLib
- 13
FF 3.5.7 : Dojo - 34, JQ - 21, Moo - 81, Proto - 50,
MyLib - 53
IE 8 : Dojo - 0, JQ - 0, Moo - 1063, Proto - 31,
MyLib - 0
Opera 9.64 : Dojo - 0, JQ - 0, Moo - 0, Proto - 16, MyLib -
0
Safari 4.0.3 : Dojo - 23, JQ - 15, Moo - 29, Proto - 22,
MyLib - 21

This hardly looks like a win for My Library.

-- Scott
[1] http://mootools.net/slickspeed/