From: Paul Mundt on
On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:18:42PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:

> > > You shouldn't be using EXTRAVERSION for this purpose, you should be
> > > passing LOCALVERSION=my_tree to make.
> > >

> > That will not work because the way I run make is out of my control. Every
> > one in the working group has his system. The Makefile is part of the
> > public git tree, so every one will get the same identification without
> > any confusion with Vanilla kernel, or what was compiled.
> >

> If everyone using that tree wants the same version string for that kernel,
> use CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-my_tree" in your .config and use "make
> LOCALVERSION=".

Or just distribute a localversion-my_tree file in the top-level directory
like other trees do. This doesn't strike me as a particularly significant
problem.
From: Paul Mundt on
On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:16:39AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 09:39 AM, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> >> Or just distribute a localversion-my_tree file in the top-level directory
> >> like other trees do. This doesn't strike me as a particularly significant
> >> problem.
> >

> I can't manage to work this out. Here is what I did please, what did I do wrong:
> [my-tree] $ git checkout v2.6.35-rc2
> [my-tree] $ touch localversion-my_tree

It's not frightfully intuitive, you have to have the string in the file.
So simply doing:

$ echo "-my_tree" > localversion-my_tree

ought to work fine for your case.
From: Paul Mundt on
On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:21:54AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 10:16 AM, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> OK I get it above should be:
> [my-tree] $ echo "-my_tree" > localversion-my_tree
>
> But now I get DEPMOD 2.6.35-rc2-my_tree+
>
> Please fix it so if localversion* is present then the plus is
> removed. And the git is not inspected

How is that a 'fix'? If I'm using localversion* and have people sending
me bug reports, I still do want to see the git ID. The + thing in this
context might not have any meaning since the 2.6.35-rc2 that you've
tagged for your tree and the release one could wildly differ, but that's
more of an argument against the + thing existing at all than anything
else.

Whether having LOCALVERSION_AUTO be compulsory is a good idea or not is
another matter entirely, the localversion* semantics are pretty
clear-cut.