From: Vect Vect on
I want to find out how to get a event machine app running in the
background.

In example scripts I have seen when the script are executed it runs in
the console but when the window/ssh session is closed the app stops.

What needs to be done to have the scripts running as a process in the
background

From: Bill Kelly on
Vect Vect wrote:
> I want to find out how to get a event machine app running in the
> background.
>
> In example scripts I have seen when the script are executed it runs in
> the console but when the window/ssh session is closed the app stops.
>
> What needs to be done to have the scripts running as a process in the
> background

A couple possibilities:

/usr/bin/nohup

/usr/bin/screen

nohup will allow the output to be logged to a file, and keep the
process running when you disconnect.

screen will allow the actual 'console' to be preserved, so that
you can reconnect to it later.

(The manpage for screen is lengthy and may appear a little daunting
at first, but there are only a few concepts to learn to begin using
screen. If you're doing much work over ssh, it's an extremely
useful command.)

Hope this helps,

Bill

From: Joel VanderWerf on
Bill Kelly wrote:
> Vect Vect wrote:
>> I want to find out how to get a event machine app running in the
>> background.
>>
>> In example scripts I have seen when the script are executed it runs in
>> the console but when the window/ssh session is closed the app stops.
>>
>> What needs to be done to have the scripts running as a process in the
>> background
>
> A couple possibilities:
>
> /usr/bin/nohup
>
> /usr/bin/screen
>

> nohup will allow the output to be logged to a file, and keep the
> process running when you disconnect.
>
> screen will allow the actual 'console' to be preserved, so that
> you can reconnect to it later.
>
> (The manpage for screen is lengthy and may appear a little daunting
> at first, but there are only a few concepts to learn to begin using
> screen. If you're doing much work over ssh, it's an extremely
> useful command.)

Those are ideal choices, particularly if you don't want to touch the
source code. If you want to write a program that just runs in the
background with no need for screen or nohup, look into the various
daemonize methods people have written in ruby.

From: Vect Vect on
What are some projects that do this and do they work with eventmachine

From: Rein Henrichs on
On 2010-06-07 14:47:49 -0700, Vect Vect said:

> I want to find out how to get a event machine app running in the
> background.
>
> In example scripts I have seen when the script are executed it runs in
> the console but when the window/ssh session is closed the app stops.
>
> What needs to be done to have the scripts running as a process in the
> background

This is not strictly a Ruby question. It's a *nix question. The answers
already provided are sufficient, however:

A simple `ruby myscript.rb &` would also suffice, although process
control would then be more difficult.

The more complete and general way to handle such processes in the *nix
world is the use of an init-like, like initd, runit or OS X's launchd.

--
Rein Henrichs
http://puppetlabs.com