From: James on
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI
│ This option enables support for AHCI Serial ATA. │
│ │
│ If unsure, say N.

CONFIG_ATA_SFF: │
│ │
│ This option adds support for ATA controllers with SFF │
│ compliant or similar programming interface. │
│ │
│ SFF is the legacy IDE interface that has been around since │
│ the dawn of time. Almost all PATA controllers have an │
│ SFF interface. Many SATA controllers have an SFF interface │
│ when configured into a legacy compatibility mode. │
│ │
│ For users with exclusively modern controllers like AHCI, │
│ Silicon Image 3124, or Marvell 6440, you may choose to │
│ disable this unneeded SFF support.

I recently configured and compiled the 2.6.35.1 kernel.
I suggest moving

│ For users with exclusively modern controllers like AHCI, │
│ Silicon Image 3124, or Marvell 6440, you may choose to │
│ disable this unneeded SFF support.
to the CONFIG_SATA_AHCI option.
From: Brian Waters on
If you think this is a good idea, then you should try submitting a
patch for it. The file you want to modify is drivers/ata/Kconfig. It
should be pretty obvious what to change. There is lots of info online
about creating patches.

- Brian Waters