From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 11:29 +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Changes since v4
> Most patches are intact. Only patches N9, N10 and N14 were changed. And patch
> N15 was added. Also, now I tested the patch-set much better.
>
> 1. Fix a bug found while testing: in the forker thread, when we create a bdi
> task and then assign it to 'bdi->wb.task', we need to take the
> 'bdi->work_lock'. Otherwise we can lose a wake-up. Changed this in patch
> N10.
> 2. Add patch 15 which fixes a warning and cleans up 'bdi_register()'.
> 3. Use "switch" in the main forker thread loop. Patch N9 was changed and now it
> also introduces the "switch".
> 4. Stick with Christoph's version of tracepoint names and positions -> changed
> patch N14.
> 5. Add a couple of "Reviewed-by" tags.

Oh, completely forgot to mention another thing.

6. Addressed the issue pointed to by Christoph and added
'del_timer_sync()'

So patch N12 was also tweaked.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)

From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 14:29 +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is v6 of the patch series which clean-ups bdi threads and substantially
> lessens amount of unnecessary kernel wake-ups, which is very important on
> battery-powered devices.
>
> This patch-set is also available at:
> git://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/misc-2.6.git flushers_v6

Ping

From: Jens Axboe on
On 2010-07-25 13:29, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is v6 of the patch series which clean-ups bdi threads and substantially
> lessens amount of unnecessary kernel wake-ups, which is very important on
> battery-powered devices.
>
> This patch-set is also available at:
> git://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/misc-2.6.git flushers_v6

Thanks Artem, for sticking around long enough to get this into
shape. I have finally merged it.

> 1. Use 'spin_lock_bh' for the 'bdi->wb_lock' (changed patch N12)

I'd rather not, question is how to avoid it. Either just wakeup the
default thread, or punt the lock-and-check bdi->wb.task to a thread.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:27 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 13:29, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is v6 of the patch series which clean-ups bdi threads and substantially
> > lessens amount of unnecessary kernel wake-ups, which is very important on
> > battery-powered devices.
> >
> > This patch-set is also available at:
> > git://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/misc-2.6.git flushers_v6
>
> Thanks Artem, for sticking around long enough to get this into
> shape. I have finally merged it.

Thanks, but

> > 1. Use 'spin_lock_bh' for the 'bdi->wb_lock' (changed patch N12)
>
> I'd rather not, question is how to avoid it. Either just wakeup the
> default thread, or punt the lock-and-check bdi->wb.task to a thread.

you merged this change, do you want me to send a separate patch which
undo the 'spin_lock_bh' change? I'll think about how to avoid this and
come back.

From: Jens Axboe on
On 2010-08-03 14:37, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:27 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 2010-07-25 13:29, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> here is v6 of the patch series which clean-ups bdi threads and substantially
>>> lessens amount of unnecessary kernel wake-ups, which is very important on
>>> battery-powered devices.
>>>
>>> This patch-set is also available at:
>>> git://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/misc-2.6.git flushers_v6
>>
>> Thanks Artem, for sticking around long enough to get this into
>> shape. I have finally merged it.
>
> Thanks, but
>
>>> 1. Use 'spin_lock_bh' for the 'bdi->wb_lock' (changed patch N12)
>>
>> I'd rather not, question is how to avoid it. Either just wakeup the
>> default thread, or punt the lock-and-check bdi->wb.task to a thread.
>
> you merged this change, do you want me to send a separate patch which
> undo the 'spin_lock_bh' change? I'll think about how to avoid this and
> come back.

Yes, it's not a huge thing, but it would be nice to get rid of. So I
figured it was better to merge it and not have you respin the series yet
again.

--
Jens Axboe