From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> | Nonsense. The HTML standard makes recommendations as to how parsers
> | are supposed to handle invalid markup. But again, it is not wise to
> | rely on that as those are only recommendations.
>
> That statement is a wrong statement and harmful advice to anyone trying
> to learn html and javascript.

No, it *evidently* is not.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: John G Harris on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 at 13:46:01, in comp.lang.javascript, Thomas
'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> | Nonsense. The HTML standard makes recommendations as to how parsers
>> | are supposed to handle invalid markup. But again, it is not wise to
>> | rely on that as those are only recommendations.
>>
>> That statement is a wrong statement and harmful advice to anyone trying
>> to learn html and javascript.
>
>No, it *evidently* is not.

The key parts of HTML 4.01 Appendix B1 are :

"However, to facilitate experimentation and interoperability between
implementations of various versions of HTML, we recommend the following
behavior:

.... user agent encounters an element it does not recognize
.... user agent encounters an attribute it does not recognize
.... user agent encounters an attribute value it doesn't recognize
.... it encounters an undeclared entity
Since user agents may vary in how they handle error conditions, authors
and users must not rely on specific error recovery behavior."

It doesn't mention the kind of mess that is found in so many web pages.
Thus Garrett is right.

John
--
John Harris
From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> writes:

> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> | Nonsense. The HTML standard makes recommendations as to how parsers
>> | are supposed to handle invalid markup. But again, it is not wise to
>> | rely on that as those are only recommendations.
>>
>> That statement is a wrong statement and harmful advice to anyone trying
>> to learn html and javascript.
>
> No, it *evidently* is not.

Since you are asserting the positive, it wouldn't cost you a lot to, say,
post a link to the part of the HTML standard that you are referring to.
Not for whoever you are arguing with (since he has an interest, he can
check it himself), but for everybody else who are reading this from the
sidelines.

/L 'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#notes-invalid-docs'
--
Lasse Reichstein Holst Nielsen

From: Garrett Smith on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> | Nonsense. The HTML standard makes recommendations as to how parsers
>> | are supposed to handle invalid markup. But again, it is not wise to
>> | rely on that as those are only recommendations.
>>
>> That statement is a wrong statement and harmful advice to anyone trying
>> to learn html and javascript.
>
> No, it *evidently* is not.

No, your statement is incomplete. As I stated: Code that uses
malformed, nonconformant HTML is expecting nonstandard behavior. That is
correct advice.
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Contrary to others, I know what I am talking about when it comes to
>>> organizations like the W3C.
>> A few days ago, you were quite certain that HTML 4 defined clear
>> expectations for nonstandard HTML.
>
> First of all, that previous discussion has nothing to do with my statement
> of fact that the W3C makes Web standards, and with my knowledge about
> organizations about the W3C contrary to certain others people's.

It's a long chain of your pointless thread-destroying pedantry. The only
point of that seemed to be to prove that I was incorrect.

> Second, what you describe is _not_ what I said. Instead, I said that HTML
> 4 made certain recommendations as to what to do with invalid markup, so
> that (quote Garrett) "Code that uses malformed, nonconformant HTML is
> expecting nonstandard behavior" is obviously a fallacy;

No, what I wrote is a true statement and correct advice.

You are free to make your own false expectations from invalid markup. If
you such false expectations here, they will probably be corrected.
--
Garrett