From: Andrea Arcangeli on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 04:34:39PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> From: Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange(a)redhat.com>
> Subject: fix ksm swapin time optimization
>
> The new anon-vma code, was suboptimal and it lead to erratic invocation of
> ksm_does_need_to_copy. That leads to host hangs or guest vnc lockup, or weird
> behavior. It's unclear why ksm_does_need_to_copy is unstable but the point is
> that when KSM is not in use, ksm_does_need_to_copy must never run or we bounce

BTW, I'm debugging why ksm_does_need_to_copy breaks things... probably
I found something already, maybe not. I'll let you know as soon as I
have a fix. In the meantime the one above is a fix needed to avoid
calling ksm_does_need_to_copy erratically even when KSM is off (which
also avoids the bug to trigger).