From: Michael on
I am looking for a way to limit a named range to unique values. So
that if a value is entered that already exists in the range the value
that already exists would become empty and the new location would hold
the unique value.

I got something sort of working with the selection change event but it
took too long to cycle through each cell in the range to make sure it
did not equal the target value. was not pretty. The range is only
like 50 cells.

I am looking for advise on how to make it work.

Thanks
From: Don Guillett on
Include your efforts to date

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software
dguillett(a)gmail.com

From: p45cal on

To get the ball rolling you could adapt something along these lines:

VBA Code:
--------------------

Dim theRange As Range
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("$B$4:$E$14")) Is Nothing And Not IsEmpty(Target) Then
Set theRange = Range("$B$4:$E$14")
If Application.CountIf(theRange, Target.Value) > 1 Then
Set c = Target
Do
Set c = theRange.Find(Target.Value, c)
If c.Address <> Target.Address Then c.ClearContents
Loop Until c.Address = Target.Address
End If
End If
End Sub

--------------------

;
7
1
6
0
5
3

:

--
p45cal

*p45cal*
p45cal's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=558
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=200469

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

From: Tom Hutchins on
Try this Worksheet_Change event code. I named the range which should have no
duplicate values UniqRng in this example.

Dim tgt As Range, xx As Range
For Each tgt In Target
If (Not Intersect(tgt, ActiveSheet.Range("UniqRng")) Is Nothing) And _
(Len(tgt.Value) > 0) Then
For Each xx In ActiveSheet.Range("UniqRng")
If xx.Address <> tgt.Address Then
If xx.Value = tgt.Value Then
xx.Value = vbNullString
End If
End If
Next xx
End If
Next tgt
End Sub

This code should be placed on the code page of the worksheet where you want
this to work.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

From: Bob Umlas, Excel MVP on
No VBA required. Suppose it's column B which yuo want to limit to unique
values. Select the whole column, use Data/Validation, select Custom from the
"Allow" dropdown, enter this formula:
=COUNTIF(B:B,B1)=1
and perhaps click the Error Alert tab to supply a message when a duplicate
value is entered.