From: Stephen Rothwell on
Hi Greg,

Today's linux-next merge of the staging-next tree got a conflict in
drivers/staging/batman-adv/hard-interface.c between commit
28172739f0a276eb8d6ca917b3974c2edb036da3 ("net: fix 64 bit counters on 32
bit arches") from the net tree and commit
a1a38cad4c71bc08403b204fbe0ba98b4447f8bf ("Staging: batman-adv: Don't
increment stats of foreign device") from the staging-next tree.

The latter just removes the code fixed by the former, so I did that.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr(a)canb.auug.org.au
From: Sven Eckelmann on
Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the staging-next tree got a conflict in
> drivers/staging/batman-adv/hard-interface.c between commit
> 28172739f0a276eb8d6ca917b3974c2edb036da3 ("net: fix 64 bit counters on 32
> bit arches") from the net tree and commit
> a1a38cad4c71bc08403b204fbe0ba98b4447f8bf ("Staging: batman-adv: Don't
> increment stats of foreign device") from the staging-next tree.
>
> The latter just removes the code fixed by the former, so I did that.

That is absolutely correct. The netdev guys noticed that the commits around
"net: fix 64 bit counters on 32 bit arches" made those lines a real bug
(casting stuff around, writing on memory it should only read, probably writing
on unrelated memory). We reviewed those lines again and noticed that they make
no sense at all and removed them to fix that bug and another minor bug.

I am sorry that this created a merge conflict for you, but only those commits
by the netdev guys made us aware that there is something going wrong in the
batman-adv receive code.

Thanks a lot for your linux-next repository and your work on it. It is a big
help to see what is going on elsewhere and how it may affect our code.

Best regards,
Sven