From: Dan Tacker on
Hi all,

having worked with commercial unixes for the last 8 years, I need to
brush up my linux skills.

In short: I want to learn about linux specifics like devicemapper
multipath, udev, /sys and the like. Not about unix essentials like
processes, shell, etc.

Which books or online ressources can you recommend?

TIA
Dan
From: notbob on
On 2009-12-16, Dan Tacker <nomail(a)nomail.com> wrote:

> Which books or online ressources can you recommend?

Install a copy of Slackware linux, the most unix-like linux of all.
Best of both worlds.

nb

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 16 December 2009 06:39 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as Dan Tacker wrote...

> Hi all,
>
> having worked with commercial unixes for the last 8 years, I need to
> brush up my linux skills.
>
> In short: I want to learn about linux specifics like devicemapper
> multipath, udev, /sys and the like. Not about unix essentials like
> processes, shell, etc.
>
> Which books or online ressources can you recommend?

The Gentoo Documentation Project is pretty good - they've got
documentation on just about everything.

http://www.gentoo.org

In the event that you're not familiar with it, Gentoo is a distribution
which initially gets installed as a base system using binaries - minus
the kernel, because you have to build one yourself at install time, or
use the binary install kernel from the CD/DVD - but the idea is that
you then apply customizations via a few configuration files and then
you can completely recompile the system with optimizations for your
hardware and preferences, all with a single tool called "emerge".

The additional software comes as source code - binaries are possible but
then you lose the ability to customize them - and is compiled and built
locally on your system. Gentoo is also a "rolling upgrade" system,
meaning that you can seamlessly upgrade from one version to another, as
the packages in the online repositories are constantly being updated.

The init system is a bit different from that of traditional binary
distributions, though. They use named runlevels instead of numbered
ones, and init scripts with dependency checking. The website provides
you with all the documentation.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)