From: Randy Yates on
Hi,

I'm going to be doing some PIC32 development and I'd love to do it under
linux if I'm able. We have a PIC32MX and the Microchip ICD2 "hockey
puck" JTAG.

I don't care so much about an IDE - I'd rather build my stuff using
emacs/gnumake. But what I need are:

1. A cross-compiler/assembler/linker that runs under linux
2. The debugger.

Keep in mind we also have the MPLAB software - we've bought several
development boards. But as far as I've seen, this stuff all runs
under Windoze and not linux.

Can anyone give me some pointers/clues? Any help would be appreciated.

--Randy

--
Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
Digital Signal Labs % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
From: d_s_klein on
On Jun 12, 4:10 am, Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to be doing some PIC32 development and I'd love to do it under
> linux if I'm able. We have a PIC32MX and the Microchip ICD2 "hockey
> puck" JTAG.
>
> I don't care so much about an IDE - I'd rather build my stuff using
> emacs/gnumake. But what I need are:
>
>  1. A cross-compiler/assembler/linker that runs under linux
>  2. The debugger.
>
> Keep in mind we also have the MPLAB software - we've bought several
> development boards. But as far as I've seen, this stuff all runs
> under Windoze and not linux.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers/clues? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --Randy
>
> --
> Randy Yates                      % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
> Digital Signal Labs              %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org          %  Verdi's always creepin' from her room."http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% "Rockaria", *A New World Record*, ELO

The PIC32MX is supported by GCC. A quick Google found:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2008-11/msg00288.html>
<http://old.nabble.com/PIC32-C32-GCC-Source-Code-Released-
to13598312.html>

Seriously, this Google search took me less than five minutes, and
there were "About 3,860 results".

RK
From: Dave Nadler on
On Jun 12, 7:10 am, Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to be doing some PIC32 development and I'd love to do it under
> linux if I'm able. We have a PIC32MX and the Microchip ICD2 "hockey
> puck" JTAG.
>
> I don't care so much about an IDE - I'd rather build my stuff using
> emacs/gnumake. But what I need are:
>
>  1. A cross-compiler/assembler/linker that runs under linux
>  2. The debugger.
>
> Keep in mind we also have the MPLAB software - we've bought several
> development boards. But as far as I've seen, this stuff all runs
> under Windoze and not linux.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers/clues? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --Randy
>
> --
> Randy Yates                      % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
> Digital Signal Labs              %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org          %  Verdi's always creepin' from her room."http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% "Rockaria", *A New World Record*, ELO

I highly recommend the CodeSourcery product.
Don't know about Linux debug/JTAG/hockey puck solutions...
This might help: http://www.nadler.com/embedded/EmbeddedProjectsIndex.html

Good luck,
Best Regards, Dave
From: Randy Yates on
d_s_klein <d_s_klein(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Seriously, this Google search took me less than five minutes, and
> there were "About 3,860 results".

Ahh, a Google University graduate.
--
Randy Yates % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
Digital Signal Labs % from Satellite 2"
From: LittleAlex on
On Jun 14, 7:35 pm, Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> d_s_klein <d_s_kl...(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> > Seriously, this Google search took me less than five minutes, and
> > there were "About 3,860 results".
>
> Ahh, a Google University graduate.
> --
> Randy Yates % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
> Digital Signal Labs % from Satellite 2"
> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org % 'Ticket To The Moon'http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% *Time*, Electric Light Orchestra

The ability to do a web search is an asset.

Perhaps you should have viewed that as "constructive criticism"?