From: Danish on
Hi,

There is a directory with many subdirectories and many files in these
subdirectories. I wanna list out files (just their creation date and
path) created on Dec 25th and before from all the subdirectories
excluding certain subdirectories eg BACKUP, N*.

So I fired the find command from the respective directory as follows:

find . name BACKUP -prune -mtime 1 -o -ls -print > $HOME/some_file

In the above case I'm not able to list out certain subdirectories I
wanna leave out by specifying a pattern for those subdirectories

I also tried the below but this does not allow me to skip certain
directories and also does not give me the correct output:

ls -ltr * |tr -s " "| awk -f " " 'print {$6,$7,$8,$9}'

I'm unable to figure what other additions I have to make to any of the
above commands to get exactly what I want.

Please provide me your inputs
From: wfw on
On Dec 27, 12:15 am, Danish <me.linuxad...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a directory with many subdirectories and many files in these
> subdirectories. I wanna list out files (just their creation date and
> path) created on Dec 25th and before from all the subdirectories
> excluding certain subdirectories eg BACKUP, N*.

First of all, there is no 'creation date'. Only change and
modification
dates.

> So I fired the find command from the respective directory as follows:
>
> find . name BACKUP -prune -mtime 1 -o -ls -print > $HOME/some_file
>
> In the above case I'm not able to list out certain subdirectories I
> wanna leave out by specifying a pattern for those subdirectories

You can specify patterns; just quote them to escape the shell
globbing.
Also, you must group using parentheses. E.g.:

find . \( -name BACKUP -o -name 'N*' \) -type d -prune -o
-mtime +1 -type f -ls >$$HOME/some_file

(split across lines for clarity - the command is one line.)

I changed "-mtime 1" to "-mtime +1" since you said you wanted the
files from the 25th and before, not just the 25th. Also I added '-type
f'
to deselect directories. This may not be what you want since it also
deselect pipes, symbolic links, etc.