From: ihightower on
On Apr 1, 2:28 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> ihightowerwrote:
> > I have made sure that I can cd to the directory and verified it. Even
> > did cd to a local directory (not in share)...
>
> > ln -s '/cygdrive/c/TEST/' test_f
>
> Maybe you should not single-quote the target path?
>
> > this creates a system file too... and i can't double click or cd to
> > there.
>
> > i tried both of your tests... and this is the result
>
> > $ ls --color -l test_f
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 Administrator None 17 2010-03-31 17:01 test_f -> /
> > cygdrive/c/Test//
>
> ISTM that because of the single-quoting there's an extra `/' now, so that
> might as well be the problem.  (I have not used Cygwin since half a year, I
> like real GNU/Linux better :))
>
> > $ readlink test_f
> > /cygdrive/c/Test/
>
> That's a bit weird, though.  Why should there be an extra slash above and
> not here?  Have you aliased `ls' to `ls -p' or `ls -F'?
>
> > but as i said.. in windows explorer.. it says..
>
> > test_f    1KB         System file
>
> > while all my other earlier symbolic links are
>
> > itshare     1KB      Shortcut
>
> The File Type column is rather meaningless in Windows Explorer.  You need
> to enable the display of filename extensions for the first column to see
> what is really going on.  "Shortcuts" should have the suffix .LNK, "System
> files" would not.
>
> > ??????????????totally confused.
>
> Your Question Mark key is borken.
>
> Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum next time.
>
> PointedEars

Tried various options as per your recommendations.. but still no
avail...

In Windows Explorer... extensions will be shown.. but for shortcuts..
it doesn't appear.. all other files will show extension... e.g.
text.xls test.php ,etc

This is what I have..

Administrator(a)BFSCILAP22 /cygdrive/c/x
$ ln -s /cygdrive/c/Test test_f

Administrator(a)BFSCILAP22 /cygdrive/c/x
$ readlink test_f
/cygdrive/c/Test

Administrator(a)BFSCILAP22 /cygdrive/c/x
$ ls --color -l test_f
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Administrator None 16 2010-04-05 15:33 test_f -> /
cygdrive/c/Test/

Administrator(a)BFSCILAP22 /cygdrive/c/x
$

And, in Windows Explorer... when I double click.. it just opens up a
"Open With" dialog box.. with a list of all installed applications. It
says "System File" and also no extension.

I have other shortcuts which were created months earlier (using the
same approach).. and that works very well... only I can't create any
more new ones..

Someone please help.
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2010-04-05, ihightower <emailsrvr-groups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> And, in Windows Explorer... when I double click.. it just opens up a
> "Open With" dialog box.. with a list of all installed applications. It
> says "System File" and also no extension.
>
> I have other shortcuts which were created months earlier (using the
> same approach).. and that works very well... only I can't create any
> more new ones..
>
> Someone please help.

Have you tried reinstalling cygwin?

From: ihightower on
On Apr 6, 1:03 am, Bill Marcum <b...(a)lat.localnet> wrote:
> On 2010-04-05,ihightower<emailsrvr-gro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > And, in Windows Explorer... when I double click.. it just opens up a
> > "Open With" dialog box.. with a list of all installed applications. It
> > says "System File" and also no extension.
>
> > I have other shortcuts which were created months earlier (using the
> > same approach).. and that works very well... only I can't create any
> > more new ones..
>
> > Someone please help.
>
> Have you tried reinstalling cygwin?

Thank you for the reply.. and I did the following to make it partly
work..

I didn't complete reinstall cygwin... but i just ran the setup.exe..
and reinstalled bash, and other coreutils.. i just picked a few items
(for reinstallation) on my own which i think related to this..

Then, started up cygwin...

This time... I can cd to the symlink from cygwin... works good now.

But, still in Windows, I can't double click on the symlink to take me
to the directory and it still shows as a "System File".

Any further pointers...??