From: rwbaker on
excel version 2003
i have 4 cells that once one is select i dont want the user to be able to
type in the others
is there anyway to control this
From: ozgrid.com on
Cells are locked by default but has no bearing until you protect the
Worksheet. IF only 4 cells, Ctrl+A > Format cell - Protection - unchecked
Locked. Now select your 4 cells and Lock them, then protect the Worksheet.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

From: rwbaker on
the situation is more like
i have 4 rows
9 thru 21
26 thru 29
31 thru 38
41 thru 47

if they select one i dont want them to be able to select another
so what i need to do is not allow them to make mutiple selections

From: Dave Peterson on
But you didn't share the columns on the rows that need to be checked. Are they
contiguous -- like columns E:H or are they non-contiguous?

And do you really mean that you have 4 groups of rows?

You could do this kind of thing with an event macro, but I wouldn't. I'd use a
helper cell (add a new column A) and put a warning message in that cell:

=if(counta(E9:h9)<2,"","Error! Please only one entry on this row!"

Then give it a nice format (big, red, letters).

You could even use this column to check for errors -- in code or using another
formula.

rwbaker wrote:

> the situation is more like
> i have 4 rows
> 9 thru 21
> 26 thru 29
> 31 thru 38
> 41 thru 47
>
> if they select one i dont want them to be able to select another
> so what i need to do is not allow them to make mutiple selections
>
> "ozgrid.com" wrote:
>
> > Cells are locked by default but has no bearing until you protect the
> > Worksheet. IF only 4 cells, Ctrl+A > Format cell - Protection - unchecked
> > Locked. Now select your 4 cells and Lock them, then protect the Worksheet.
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > Dave Hawley
> > www.ozgrid.com
> > "rwbaker" <rwbaker(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > excel version 2003
> > > i have 4 cells that once one is select i dont want the user to be able to
> > > type in the others
> > > is there anyway to control this

--

Dave Peterson