From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Georg Bauhaus sent:
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|"[..] |
| |
|An then, when a teacher has different assorted backgrounds, picking|
|up the language of the day because that seems required, has he/she |
|got a chance to see all this clearly? And to form instructions |
|accordingly? |
| |
|[..]" |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

My secondary degree (from Umeå University and Luleå University of
Technology) is my only degree for which Ada was on the course. It was
lectured in only one subject. That subject had two lecturers, both
lecturing about (parts of) Ada (they did not know all of Ada, not even
with their knowledge combined). The lecture notes were copied from
another university. One of the lecturers asked me about some of the
language which he was to lecture us about soon afterwards, because he
did not know the language well enough to be lecturing on it.

Yours sincerely,
Paul Colin Gloster
From: Peter Hermann on
Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus(a)futureapps.de> wrote:
> ... a teacher
> has no trouble wiping away all questions by noting that
> "task" is a reserved word, and more about it later.
> Just get rid of it. But that's the point! That is what
> error messages can strive to be like in a "teaching compiler".

that's the point indeed.
sehr gut.

The evolution of compilers towards better error messages
may only happen incrementally.
Therefore AdaCores "GNAT Academic Program (GAP)" is so precious.
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Georg Bauhaus sent:
|--------------------------------------------|
|"On 03.07.10 10:35, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:|
| |
|[..]" |
|--------------------------------------------|

It is not yet July 3rd, 2010. Many recent posts by Dmitry A. Kazakov
with bogus timestamps are not being shown by two news servers which I
use.
From: Non scrivetemi on
> The design of Ada can hardly be held responsible for subjecting students
> to incompetent or untrained teachers.

Indeed, Michael Feldman, one of the more famous professors advocating and
teaching Ada appears to me to be extraordinarily good at what he does. I
have one of his early textbooks and it's positively outstanding for clarity
and cleanliness.

From: anon on
In <i0kssq$dcc$1(a)infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, Peter Hermann <h(a)h.de> writes:
>Georg Bauhaus <rm.dash-bauhaus(a)futureapps.de> wrote:
>> ... a teacher
>> has no trouble wiping away all questions by noting that
>> "task" is a reserved word, and more about it later.
>> Just get rid of it. But that's the point! That is what
>> error messages can strive to be like in a "teaching compiler".
>
>that's the point indeed.
>sehr gut.
>
>The evolution of compilers towards better error messages
>may only happen incrementally.
>Therefore AdaCores "GNAT Academic Program (GAP)" is so precious.

Most compilers are still written in software shop from programmers
that care less who uses them.

But Adacore's GNAT was design at NYU. Dr. Robert Dewar and the Ada Team
was requested to design a compiler that aid the Ada programmer. And,
Robert Dewar a NYU associate professor at NYU in 80s .. 90s knew that
most professors do not want to help students with simple syntax errors
that a compiler could easily give a hint to. So, GNAT is great in
reporting the syntax errors. With some warning messages on simple
program design flaws like report a warning that routine calling
itself may result in an endless loop error. And this also, trys to
fills a few requirments from the RM which other compilers have not.

Dr. Robert Dewar -- At NYU he was codirector of both the Ada-Ed and
GNAT projects. And is a cofounder, president, and
CEO of AdaCore.