From: Justin P. Mattock on
On 05/10/2010 02:52 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:

>>> Adding Michael Poole to CC.
>>>
>>> No, I haven't seen any such reports. First -- could you please provide
>>> complete dmesg?
>>
>> everything seems to be working o.k. now, just had to enable HIDRAW=y
>> maybe something changed to where I needed this(I remember never really
>> using hidraw, just HIDDEV(but could be wrong)).
>
> This sounds a bit strange.
>
> hidraw shouldn't be making too much difference in the case you describe.
> hidraw is basically just a mean of relaying HID events to userspace so
> that any driver/application in userspace can access them. But magicmouse
> driver is written completely in kernelspace.
>
> Does anything on your system have /dev/hidraw* nodes open? (you could
> check by lsof).

right now I see
/dev/hidraw0,1,2,3

../lsof | grep /dev
(showing bluetooth)

bluetooth 2020 root 0u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
/dev/null
bluetooth 2020 root 1u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
/dev/null
bluetooth 2020 root 2u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
/dev/null
bluetooth 2020 root 14u CHR 10,62 0t0 3895
/dev/rfkill

I can try a bisect on this and see.

Justin P. Mattock
From: Michael Poole on
Justin P. Mattock writes:

> On 05/10/2010 02:52 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
[snip]
>> This sounds a bit strange.
>>
>> hidraw shouldn't be making too much difference in the case you describe.
>> hidraw is basically just a mean of relaying HID events to userspace so
>> that any driver/application in userspace can access them. But magicmouse
>> driver is written completely in kernelspace.
>>
>> Does anything on your system have /dev/hidraw* nodes open? (you could
>> check by lsof).
>>

> right now I see
> /dev/hidraw0,1,2,3
>
> ./lsof | grep /dev
> (showing bluetooth)
>
> bluetooth 2020 root 0u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
> /dev/null
> bluetooth 2020 root 1u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
> /dev/null
> bluetooth 2020 root 2u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
> /dev/null
> bluetooth 2020 root 14u CHR 10,62 0t0 3895
> /dev/rfkill
>
> I can try a bisect on this and see.

A list of which patches you have applied would also be helpful. The
standard 2.6.33.* kernels predate the merge of the hid-magicmouse
driver, but the dmesg entry you pasted makes it look like the driver was
present.

Michael Poole
From: Justin P. Mattock on
On 05/10/2010 07:28 PM, Michael Poole wrote:
> Justin P. Mattock writes:
>

>> On 05/10/2010 02:52 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> This sounds a bit strange.
>>>
>>> hidraw shouldn't be making too much difference in the case you describe.
>>> hidraw is basically just a mean of relaying HID events to userspace so
>>> that any driver/application in userspace can access them. But magicmouse
>>> driver is written completely in kernelspace.
>>>
>>> Does anything on your system have /dev/hidraw* nodes open? (you could
>>> check by lsof).
>>>

>> right now I see
>> /dev/hidraw0,1,2,3
>>
>> ./lsof | grep /dev
>> (showing bluetooth)
>>
>> bluetooth 2020 root 0u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 1u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 2u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 14u CHR 10,62 0t0 3895
>> /dev/rfkill
>>
>> I can try a bisect on this and see.
>>
> A list of which patches you have applied would also be helpful. The
> standard 2.6.33.* kernels predate the merge of the hid-magicmouse
> driver, but the dmesg entry you pasted makes it look like the driver was
> present.
>
> Michael Poole

I'm using the latest HEAD, without any patches
applied. (I'll send a post with dmesg after this post).

Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock on
On 05/10/2010 07:28 PM, Michael Poole wrote:
> Justin P. Mattock writes:
>

>> On 05/10/2010 02:52 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> This sounds a bit strange.
>>>
>>> hidraw shouldn't be making too much difference in the case you describe.
>>> hidraw is basically just a mean of relaying HID events to userspace so
>>> that any driver/application in userspace can access them. But magicmouse
>>> driver is written completely in kernelspace.
>>>
>>> Does anything on your system have /dev/hidraw* nodes open? (you could
>>> check by lsof).
>>>

>> right now I see
>> /dev/hidraw0,1,2,3
>>
>> ./lsof | grep /dev
>> (showing bluetooth)
>>
>> bluetooth 2020 root 0u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 1u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 2u CHR 1,3 0t0 2551
>> /dev/null
>> bluetooth 2020 root 14u CHR 10,62 0t0 3895
>> /dev/rfkill
>>
>> I can try a bisect on this and see.
>>
> A list of which patches you have applied would also be helpful. The
> standard 2.6.33.* kernels predate the merge of the hid-magicmouse
> driver, but the dmesg entry you pasted makes it look like the driver was
> present.
>
> Michael Poole

The only other thing that I remember
when adding hidraw was adding
BT_HCIUART_LL=m
(not sure if it matters or not).

here is dmesg:
http://fpaste.org/OiDf/

Justin P. Mattock

From: Jiri Kosina on
On Mon, 10 May 2010, Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> The only other thing that I remember when adding hidraw was adding
> BT_HCIUART_LL=m (not sure if it matters or not).
>
> here is dmesg:
> http://fpaste.org/OiDf/

Please include the dmesg directly in the mail next time.

Anyway, I don't see the dmesg you provided containing neither the "claimed
by neither input, hiddev nor hidraw" nor "hw start failed" messages.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.