From: Sam Wormley on
gdewilde(a)gmail.com wrote:

> When the Inductrack's train cars move forward, the magnets in the
> Halbach arrays induce currents in the track's coils, which in turn
> generate an electromagnetic field that repels the arrays. As long as
> the train is moving above a low critical speed of a few kilometers per
> hour-a bit faster than walking speed-the Halbach arrays will be
> levitated a few centimeters above the track's surface.
> http://www.skytran.net/press/sciam02.htm

Gabby--When the net force on an object (i.e., no force acting on it)
it remains in its state of uniform motion or rest... which is
observer dependent. That what Newton's first law says.

Newton's Second Law (F = ma) applies and in the case cited above the
net force is zero.

When *net* force (such as a block sitting on a kitchen table) is
zero, the block experiences *no* acceleration and retains its state
of motion or rest (rest in the case of our block sitting on, and
with respect to, the kitchen table).

F_net = ma = 0

Newton's Second Law applies
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsSecondLaw.html

The motion of a particle (or train) is described by Euler's
statement of Newton's second law, namely

F = ma

Here F is the applied force, m is the mass of the particle, and a =
dv/dt is the particle's acceleration, with v being the particle's
velocity. This equation, together with the principle that bodies act
symmetrically on one another--so that the force particle A feels
from particle B is equal to the force B feels from A--is the basis
for understanding particle dynamics".

"Newton's [second] law completely describes all the phenomena of
classical mechanics...."
From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, gdewilde(a)gmail.com
<gdewilde(a)gmail.com>
wrote
on 13 Feb 2007 20:58:44 -0800
<1171429124.878503.130260(a)a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>:
> On Feb 14, 5:29 am, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)mchsi.com> wrote:

[snip]

> When the Inductrack's train cars move forward, the magnets in the
> Halbach arrays induce currents in the track's coils, which in turn
> generate an electromagnetic field that repels the arrays. As long as
> the train is moving above a low critical speed of a few kilometers per
> hour-a bit faster than walking speed-the Halbach arrays will be
> levitated a few centimeters above the track's surface.
> http://www.skytran.net/press/sciam02.htm

There is something wrong with the diagram, as it is
bilaterally symmetrical; either the up and down magnets
are conical or some such, making the fields asymmetric,
or there is a bar or other such on the top of the Halbach
magnet array -- which makes perfect sense as the train is
primarily steel, presumably.

I don't see why this shouldn't work, though at best it's
a perpetual motion machine of the first kind, and in
reality there are issues such as air friction, eddy
currents, and resistance in the levitation coils.

In short, it won't move on its own; it'll have to be pushed. :-)

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
while(bit&BITMASK) ;

From: gdewilde on
On Feb 14, 7:28 am, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)mchsi.com> wrote:
> gdewi...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > When the Inductrack's train cars move forward, the magnets in the
> > Halbach arrays induce currents in the track's coils, which in turn
> > generate an electromagnetic field that repels the arrays. As long as
> > the train is moving above a low critical speed of a few kilometers per
> > hour-a bit faster than walking speed-the Halbach arrays will be
> > levitated a few centimeters above the track's surface.
> > http://www.skytran.net/press/sciam02.htm
>
> Gaby--When the net force on an object (i.e., no force acting on it)
> it remains in its state of uniform motion or rest... which is
> observer dependent. That what Newton's first law says.

yes exactly, and the train doesn't radiate away in any way.

> Newton's Second Law (F = ma) applies and in the case cited above the
> net force is zero.
>
> When *net* force (such as a block sitting on a kitchen table) is
> zero, the block experiences *no* acceleration and retains its state
> of motion or rest (rest in the case of our block sitting on, and
> with respect to, the kitchen table).
>
> F_net = ma = 0
>
> Newton's Second Law applies
> http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsSecondLaw.html
>
> The motion of a particle (or train) is described by Euler's
> statement of Newton's second law, namely
>
> F = ma
>
> Here F is the applied force, m is the mass of the particle, and a =
> dv/dt is the particle's acceleration, with v being the particle's
> velocity. This equation, together with the principle that bodies act
> symmetrically on one another--so that the force particle A feels
> from particle B is equal to the force B feels from A--is the basis
> for understanding particle dynamics".
>
> "Newton's [second] law completely describes all the phenomena of
> classical mechanics...."

So that leads me to believe that an acceleration of (say) 1m/s/s and a
declaration of 1 m/s/s equal a rest position.

pushing a wheel only works forwards and backwards, pushing it
sidewards has no influence on it's rotation.

Besides from gaining a push and a pull for free it's also important
that magnetic interaction is not instantaneous the primary magnet can
be moved away before the balance changes in favor of the pull.

Never the less (when we do allow it to change into a pull) the push
remains unaccounted for.

From: Ben Newsam on
On 13 Feb 2007 20:58:44 -0800, "gdewilde(a)gmail.com"
<gdewilde(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>As long as
>the train is moving above a low critical speed of a few kilometers per
>hour-a bit faster than walking speed-the Halbach arrays will be
>levitated a few centimeters above the track's surface.

But not for free. Such a device needs to be driven along, and there
will be inductive drag.