From: Shreyas Agasthya on
PHP'ers,

I am sure this would have been asked a zillion times but I take this as my
turn to get some help. I hate to ask such rhetorical questions but quite
couldn't understand how to tweak this.

All I am trying to do is send a mail from my localhost to my Gmail ID. I
read stuff about how the SMTP port should be accessible; should be open et
al. My set-up is very simple:

1. Using Easy PHP.
2. Windows XP

Also, when the comment says that you need to 'configure' your php.ini, which
..ini should I modify? The reason being, I see that file in two locations,
apparently.
(i) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\apache
(ii) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\conf_files

*My php.ini (will remove the semi-colon)*
*
*
; For Win32 only.
;SMTP = localhost
;smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me(a)example.com

*My code: *
*
*
*
<?php
*

$from= "shreyasbr(a)gmail.com";
$to ="shreyasbr(a)gmail.com";
$subject = "PHP Testing";
$message = "Test Me";
mail ($to,$subject,$message,'From:'.$from);
?>
*
*
*
Regards,
*Shreyas Agasthya
From: Andrew Ballard on
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Shreyas Agasthya <shreyasbr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, when the comment says that you need to 'configure' your php.ini, which
> .ini should I modify? The reason being, I see that file in two locations,
> apparently.
> (i) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\apache
> (ii) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\conf_files

Call this in a script running under your web server:

http://www.php.net/phpinfo

Alternatively, you could also look at these:

http://www.php.net/php-ini-loaded-file
http://www.php.net/php-ini-scanned-files

Andrew
From: Daniel Brown on
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:02, Shreyas Agasthya <shreyasbr(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Spoke too fast.
>
> Fixed that (SMTP has to be uppercase)
>
> Now it is : *SMTP server response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command
> first. c15sm7128213rvi.11*

(Quick note: per the list guidelines, please don't top-post in threads.)

That error message is because you're trying to connect to an SMTPS
(secure, SSL-encrypted SMTP) server using plain text, which won't
work. If you have a plain SMTP server running, try that to get one
thing resolved at a time. Change the port to 25 in your php.ini (and,
again, restart Apache) if plain SMTP is available on the default port.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
From: Shreyas Agasthya on
Not sure where I am top-posting. I posted to my own mail so that one gets to
know the latest. Nevertheless, I wouldn't go against the guidelines as I
completely understand the havoc that it can create.

The port is 587 as per Google; SMTP that I am using
is Google's (anything wrong here?). If there is a rudimentary mistake that I
am doing, please guide me.

Regards,
Shreyas

From: Shreyas Agasthya on
Trying again; most likely I cannot do this without SSL.

--Shreyas

--
Regards,
Shreyas Agasthya