From: emekadavid on
How can one write website styles for making an invisible div element
with
child nodes visible. Like, when the mouse hovers a navigation item, a
box
appears below it and well positioned too. You can see an example, for
example, at the verisign site: www.verisign.com, just hove the mouse
over
any of the navigation items at the header.
Can anyone please help me.
xnt

--
ich bin ein berliner

From: Ed Mullen on
emekadavid wrote:
> How can one write website styles for making an invisible div element
> with
> child nodes visible. Like, when the mouse hovers a navigation item, a
> box
> appears below it and well positioned too. You can see an example, for
> example, at the verisign site: www.verisign.com, just hove the mouse
> over
> any of the navigation items at the header.
> Can anyone please help me.
> xnt

Let me Google that for you ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=css+drop+down+menus

Also, a simplified example ...

http://edmullen.net/menu_example.php

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
From: Gus Richter on

The example at verisign.com is done with javascript.
The example at edmullen.net is done with css.

--
Gus
ich nicht

From: Ed Mullen on
Gus Richter wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 1:06 PM, emekadavid wrote:
>> How can one write website styles for making an invisible div element
>> with
>> child nodes visible. Like, when the mouse hovers a navigation item, a
>> box
>> appears below it and well positioned too. You can see an example, for
>> example, at the verisign site: www.verisign.com, just hove the mouse
>> over
>> any of the navigation items at the header.
>> Can anyone please help me.
>> xnt
>>
>> --
>> ich bin ein berliner
>>

> The example at verisign.com is done with javascript.
> The example at edmullen.net is done with css.

Good point, Gus. I didn't even look to see how the Verisign site
implemented the menus.

For the OP: The obvious problem making a menu system dependent on
javascript is that any user can disable it in their browser. If you're
going to use drop-down menus make them pure CSS.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
From: Mark Hansen on
On 12/22/2009 11:37 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:
>> On 12/22/2009 1:06 PM, emekadavid wrote:
>>> How can one write website styles for making an invisible div element
>>> with
>>> child nodes visible. Like, when the mouse hovers a navigation item, a
>>> box
>>> appears below it and well positioned too. You can see an example, for
>>> example, at the verisign site: www.verisign.com, just hove the mouse
>>> over
>>> any of the navigation items at the header.
>>> Can anyone please help me.
>>> xnt
>>>
>>> --
>>> ich bin ein berliner
>>>

>> The example at verisign.com is done with javascript.
>> The example at edmullen.net is done with css.
>>

> Good point, Gus. I didn't even look to see how the Verisign site
> implemented the menus.
>
> For the OP: The obvious problem making a menu system dependent on
> javascript is that any user can disable it in their browser. If you're
> going to use drop-down menus make them pure CSS.

Of course, users can disable CSS as well. Best to have a fall-back
in either case.