From: zhong ming wu on
Hi List

I find that not all parameters in main.cf can be overridden in
master.cf with -o.

So far I find that for example header_check , smtpd_data_restrictions,
and inet_interfaces cannot be overridden in master.cf
Is there a list of such parameters documented somewhere?

I am using three different postfix personalities defined in master.cf.
One for local processes listening at loopback
address. Another for public facing mx host listening on smtp port.
Another for authenticated clients using submission port
for relay

I am currently trying to achieve the following: remove "Received:"
header from submission
port mails using header_checks=regexp/etc/postfix/map

First I have no header_checks in main.cf and specify
header_checks=regexp/etc/postfix/map
only for submission server. This does not do anything to any of three servers.

Next I put header_checks=regexp/etc/postfix/map in main.cf

Then except for submission server i put
header_checks=
in master.cf. This removes the header from every servers.

As an aside : I find that both postconf -d and postconf -n gives
config_directory which are the same even though I deliberately removed
config_directory line from main.cf because postconf -d and postconf -n
give the same value.

Thanks for your explanation and clarification.

mr.wu

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:12:32PM -0400, zhong ming wu wrote:
> I find that not all parameters in main.cf can be overridden in
> master.cf with -o.
>
> So far I find that for example header_check , smtpd_data_restrictions,
> and inet_interfaces cannot be overridden in master.cf
> Is there a list of such parameters documented somewhere?

Correlation does not indicate causation. You have made an observation
and drawn a false conclusion from it.

> I am using three different postfix personalities defined in master.cf.

"Personalities" is not a valid concept here, but I think my guess
might point you in the right direction.

> One for local processes listening at loopback
> address. Another for public facing mx host listening on smtp port.
> Another for authenticated clients using submission port
> for relay
>
> I am currently trying to achieve the following: remove "Received:"
> header from submission
> port mails using header_checks=regexp/etc/postfix/map
>
> First I have no header_checks in main.cf and specify
> header_checks=regexp/etc/postfix/map
> only for submission server. This does not do anything to any of
> three servers.

You cannot set header_checks for a smtpd(8) daemon. But you can set
$cleanup_service_name and use an alternate cleanup(8) daemon for an
alternate smtpd.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#cleanup_service_name

The -o options only override settings specific to the particular
daemon you're trying to change. See the man page for each daemon.
This page might help you understand the Big Picture:
http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

You also mentioned trying to override smtpd_data_restrictions and
inet_interfaces. The former, as hinted by the smtpd_* naming
convention, is a setting for smtpd.

The latter is a setting used by master(8), and as such, is global to
the Postfix instance. There is, however, no need to override it for
any daemon; you simply tell that daemon via its master(5) entry to
bind to the appropriate IP address:

192.0.2.25:587 inet n - n - - smtpd
-o setting=value [ ... ]
This gives you a smtpd listener on 192.0.2.25:587.

smtp unix - - n - - smtp
-o smtp_bind_address=192.0.2.25 -o setting=value [ ... ]
This gives you a smtp(8) client sending from 192.0.2.25.

From: zhong ming wu on
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:12:32PM -0400, zhong ming wu wrote:
>
> "Personalities" is not a valid concept here, but I think my guess
> might point you in the right direction.

This is the terminology used in master.cf manual page.

> You cannot set header_checks for a smtpd(8) daemon. But you can set
> $cleanup_service_name and use an alternate cleanup(8) daemon for an
> alternate smtpd.
>    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#cleanup_service_name

Great: this trick solves my problem. Thanks

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 08:03:47PM -0400, zhong ming wu wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:12:32PM -0400, zhong ming wu wrote:
> >
> > "Personalities" is not a valid concept here, but I think my guess
> > might point you in the right direction.
>
> This is the terminology used in master.cf manual page.

Oops, in that case I will look again, thanks.

> > You cannot set header_checks for a smtpd(8) daemon. But you can
> > set $cleanup_service_name and use an alternate cleanup(8) daemon
> > for an alternate smtpd.
> >    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#cleanup_service_name
>
> Great: this trick solves my problem. Thanks

Glad to hear it, you're welcome.