From: jeffl on
Just wondering what actually happens (if anything) when you dial back your
master levels a bit. I'm getting better at it but I still find myself
ending up with a mix that's too loud-ie-over 2 or 3 and dial the masters
back to -2 or -3 to compensate. Is there tone loss or anything going on I
should be aware of? Also, for the general rock mix do you recommend
throwing a compressor over a master bus to take care of these peaks
instead --if so, what are people using and what would a typical setting be
for limiting?
I generally bring the mix into an old version of Sound Forge and do a simple
mastering including L1-sonic maximizer to fatten up and also some basic eq.
I have the Waves bundle.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Jeff

From: jeffl on

"> Basically, you want the effect of it holding the line, without the effect
> of hearing it work.

G-bo
In your opinion--what's your favorite plug-in and settings if you don't mind
me asking to get a limiting effect without much boosting--
Thanks again--hope things are well!

From: jeffl on
Thanks for the cool tips!

From: Phoenix on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 04:17:20 +0000 (UTC), Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:
> In news:hukfqg$3jk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org the killer robot
"jeffl"
> <people(a)people.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> > "> Basically, you want the effect of it holding the line, without
the
> > effect
> >> of hearing it work.
> >
> > G-bo
> > In your opinion--what's your favorite plug-in and settings if you
> > don't mind me asking to get a limiting effect without much
boosting--
> > Thanks again--hope things are well!

> I use the antiquated, yet still quite functional db-audio mastering
> limiter. http://www.db-audioware.com/db-l-mastering-limiter.html
> On most of my songs, I have one of these strapped across the final
master,
> and across all sub masters, usually set for no boost at all, and
brickwall
> limiting at zero db.

> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
> ________ __
> / ____/ /__ ____ ____ / /_ ____
> / / __/ / _ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \
> / /_/ / / __/ / / / / / / /_/ / /_/ /
> \____/_/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_.___/\____/

> Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
> Hear My Music
http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms

Think that'll work in Win7 x64? In 32-bit program or with DXiShell.
From: Phoenix on
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 03:02:06 +0000 (UTC), Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:
> In news:almarsoft.5577524167324889832(a)news.albasani.net the killer
robot
> Phoenix <fake(a)fakeemail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship

> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> >> I use the antiquated, yet still quite functional db-audio
mastering
> >> limiter. http://www.db-audioware.com/db-l-mastering-limiter.html
> >> On most of my songs, I have one of these strapped across the
final
> > master,
> >> and across all sub masters, usually set for no boost at all, and
> > brickwall
> >> limiting at zero db.
> >

> > Think that'll work in Win7 x64? In 32-bit program or with
DXiShell.

> It might. You should just try it. The full install runs unlimited
in demo
> mode for something like 30 days.

> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
> ________ __

> Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
> Hear My Music
http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms

Reminds me, I've gotta fish out my Sonar 3 (?) disks for the
Timeworks stuff.