From: Stuart on
How do I permanently disable msn messenger?
Cheers.

StoneColdChri wrote:

Disable MSN Messenger from Automatic Startup
13-Nov-07

I am running Vista Home Premium. At start-up, the MSN Windows Live Messenger
box is loaded. I can go into "Administrative Tools", then "System
Configuration" and click the "Start Up" tab and see a check mark in the box
for MSN Messenger. I click this to remove the check so that it does not
start at Start Up and the next time I turn on the computer, Messenger does
not start. If I go back into System Configuration I see that the box for MSN
Messenger is still unchecked. However, the next tmie I start up the
computer, the Messenger box again appears and the box is again checked in
System Configuration. I cannot uninstall MSN Messenger as MSN will not run
without it, but I do not use MSN Messenger and do not want it auto-loading
and hogging my resources. When I first got this computer earlier this year I
was somehow able to permanently disable MSN Messenger from automatically
me permanently disableMSN Messenger from loading at start up?

On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:13 AM
StoneColdChri wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:01 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Greetings,Using MSConfig (the System Configuration tool you're using), you can
Greetings,

Using MSConfig (the System Configuration tool you're using), you can disable specific things
from starting up. But disabling from startup is different from actually removing it;
Messenger will still start, regardless if you've "disabled" it or not.

To properly disable Messenger from starting up, just open it up, press the Alt key on the
keyboard to bring up the menubar, choose the Tools menu, then Options, then the General
category and then uncheck the 'Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to
Windows' option.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

"StoneColdChris" <StoneColdChris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:06 AM
StoneColdChri wrote:

Re: Disable MSN Messenger from Automatic Startup
Got it...thank you very much for the help :-)

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:26 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

Re: Disable MSN Messenger from Automatic Startup
No problem :)

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2007 Jonathan Kay.

"StoneColdChris" <StoneColdChris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Friday, February 06, 2009 6:36 AM
Dennis Chiles wrote:

Disabling MS Messenger
Thank you Thank You at LAST some peace!! Now if anyone has a cure for the disappearing passwords in MS Outlook when using Vista Home? - I could die a happy man!!

Efficient XML: Some basics for Windows developers
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/488a7431-7fc1-4010-923d-da3febd442e2/efficient-xml-some-basic.aspx