From: johnny bobby bee on
i've got an external backpack cd-writer. it connects via usb and
parallel port. i'm having a hell of a time getting it to work with
ubuntu hoary (debian-based), using either usb or parallel port.

from the micro solutions website:

"USING BACKPACK ON THE PARALLEL PORT IN LINUX
The backpack parallel port driver has been included into the Linux
Kernel 2.4.4 and higher. No special software downloads should be needed
from this page. We recommend that you use the newest kernel version.

Please note that there are 2 backpack drivers in the Linux kernel:

bpck6.o - works with all current backpack CD-ROM, cd-rewriter, and hard
drive models, which typically have a "Series 6 driver" notation on the
Serial Number label on the bottom of the backpack drive.

bpck.o - works with earlier models of backpack CD-ROM (Models 163xxx,
164xxx, 165xxx), hard drives (850MB to 6.4GB), and original 2x
cd-rewriters (Models 190100 and 190120)."

using the parallel port driver -- *no special software should be needed*?
i've got both bpck and bpck6 loaded:
root(a)ubulin-shine:/home/ubudeshine # lsmod |grep bpck
bpck 9984 0
bpck6 6916 0
paride 8320 2 bpck,bpck6

still, no cd-burning software will recognize the device. i've tried k3b,
gnomebaker and graveman. nothing sees it.

cdrecord -scanbus gives me this:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg
Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools(a)packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-386
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup

please, someone help me out here. i've gotta boot into windows just to
burn cd's. i'm hoping to rid my pc of windows entirely.

--
there's no place like ~
there's no place like ~
From: johnny bobby bee on
Dances With Crows wrote:
> Message-ID for this message? There's a fair amount of traffic here, and
> stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

i was piggy-backing on a thread that had my exact problem. i got no
response and i don't think the OP's problem got resolved either. seem's
as though we're in the same boat with these usb CD-R* drives. misery
loves company, i guess.

here's the rest of the message:
Subject: Re: sg not creating /dev/sg* for my USB CDRW

John-Paul Stewart wrote:
> Is the sg module loaded? Check with lsmod. If not, you'll need to load
> manually.

i'm having the exact same problem and sg module is loaded.

$ lsmod |grep sg
sg 35360 0
scsi_mod 119936 2 sg,usb_storage

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac9:0000 Micro Solutions, Inc. Backpack CD-ReWriter

some dmesg stuff:
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:14.2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:14.2: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
uhci_hcd 0000:00:14.2: irq 11, io base 0x2040
uhci_hcd 0000:00:14.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [0461:4d03] on usb-0000:00:14.2-2

<snipping>

and the backpack usb cdrw drive doesn't get recognized anywhere.
i'd love to get this thing working too.

> Try forcing the device with dev=/dev/scd0 or dev=/dev/sg0 and using
> -prcap instead of -scanbus. -scanbus doesn't always do the right thing,
> especially with IDE devices, where you must add "dev=ATA:" to the
> -scanbus if you want to get anything useful back. I'd test this if I
> had a CD-R* anywhere that wasn't IDE.

tried it ... no go:
first with /dev/scd0

root(a)ubulin-shine:/home/ubudeshine # cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/scd0

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-386
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
devname: '/dev/scd0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/scd0'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

then with /dev/sg0
root(a)ubulin-shine:/home/ubudeshine # cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/sg0

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-386
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/sg0'
devname: '/dev/sg0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

tried -scanbus and -prcap. nothing.

weird thing is that dmesg does see when ever i plug in or remove the usb
cable to the device.
dmesg:
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4

so, why doesn't cdrecord see it?

> There's got to be a way to get this working. I don't know exactly what
> it could be, though, since usually USB CD-R* devices just work. If you
> can plug the thing in via USB and mount /dev/scd0, you should be able to
> cdrecord with dev=/dev/sg0 . Oh well.

well, thanks again. i'll keep trying google. i won't give up just yet.
but i sure as hell do hate booting into windows every time i have to
burn something.

--
there's no place like ~
there's no place like ~
From: johnny bobby bee on
i went back to the MicroSolutions website to see about a USB driver for
this device, and i found something interesting:

"You will also need to have the package "usb-hotplug" installed on your
Linux system in order for the backpack USB loader to function correctly.
While many distributions include these packages and subsystems, some may
not."

i have pci_hotplug but i don't have usb-hotplug. i tried a modprobe -l
|grep hotplug, and i don't see anything usb related. is this something?

i guess i'll trying to find some kind of usb-hotplug package to install.

--
there's no place like ~
there's no place like ~
From: Dances With Crows on
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:17:28 GMT, johnny bobby bee staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
[ message-ID prjfe.46297$HR1.21388(a)clgrps12 said that this device is
seen by lsusb, but not by the usb-storage module. ]
> i went back to the MicroSolutions website to see about a USB driver
> for this device

Optimistic, ain't ya? The manufacturer's website is usually much less
helpful than Usenet.

> and i found something interesting: "You will also need to have the
> package "usb-hotplug" installed on your Linux system in order for the
> backpack USB loader to function correctly."

This is a little weird. I did "emerge --search hotplug" and found only
2 packages matching; sys-apps/hotplug and sys-apps/hotplug-base . The
hotplug package creates an executable called /sbin/hotplug with config
files in /etc/hotplug/ . I don't know where these people got
"usb-hotplug" from, since there's no package by that name on
freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net .

All hotplug really does is detect when a new device is inserted, then
modprobe the proper module for that device if the proper module isn't
there. If you've modprobed usb-storage, uhci_hcd (or whatever is
appropriate--use "lspci -v | grep HCI" to find out), sr_mod, sg, and
scsi_mod before the CD-RW is plugged in, it should work and you should
see it in "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".

Try making sure the USB CD-RW is powered on before you plug it in. I
had a USB Archos 6000 that had to be fully powered on before you plugged
it in to any USB host, or it'd sit there and sulk instead of being a USB
storage device.

Another thing to do is to make sure that the module for low-performance
USB storage devices isn't loaded. I forget what that module's called,
but it probably has "ub" in its name, and a number of people have
reported on Usenet that it's caused them problems. Those problems went
away when they did rmmod on that module.

> i have pci_hotplug but i don't have usb-hotplug. i tried a modprobe -l
> | grep hotplug, and i don't see anything usb related. is this

There is no usb-hotplug kernel module AFAICT. USB is designed to be
hot-pluggable, and [eou]hci_hcd are all supposed to support devices
being plugged/unplugged at any time. pci_hotplug exists because there
are some (expensive) machines that support hotplugging of PCI cards.

> i guess i'll trying to find some kind of usb-hotplug package to install.

If it's not on freshmeat/sourceforge, you'll probably have a difficult
time finding it. Googling "usb-hotplug" turned up a problem with
Redhat/Fedora, USB Mass Storage devices, and 2.6.10, but you're using
Ubuntu, not a Redhat-derived thing. Another result complained of OOPSes
with a USB serial converter and 2.6.7 on Debian, but you aren't having
an OOPS, just a device that isn't responding. @#$%^. I'll bet that if
I could sit down with this misbehaving device, I could get it working in
~15 minutes. Sigh....

http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

Pages: 1
Prev: dvd error WRITE@LBA