From: scooter, scotto, scottso, jumbo on
On Jun 30, 9:03 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [Please reply or post only to the newsgroup or forum thread so that all may
> benefit from the discussion.]
>
> You should have downloaded/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
> before you installed the Comcast's Norton Security Suite freebie.
>
> But it's too late now: Your email reply tells me that you're seeing the
> effects of a hijackware infection.
>
> Assuming the McAfee freebie from ATT had been working properly & effectively
> protecting your computer (doubtful), the infection might have started while
> you still had the McAfee app installed but were no longer an ATT subscriber
> (if you're no longer an ATT subscriber, you don't get any definitions
> updates from McAfee).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> jeep_driver wrote:
> > in answer to your questions, yes! i have had the att/yahoo mc afee offered
> > by ATT, my IP, and now i have Norton which is a subscriber's option to
> > download if you have comcast. i am now going to attempt the steps listed
> > in
> > the post above yours. will be right back, most likely. thanks very much
> > for
> > your support.
>
> <PASTE FROM EMAIL REPLY>
>
> > thanks for consolidating my threads. i was unable to find my original
> > from the other night and so i tried again on the other forum    now,
> > the latest on my problem.
> > i uninstalled internet explorer 8 and then reinstalled it. now i get
> > an error message
> > saying i am not an administrator which is of course an untruth. in the
> > lower right
> > quick launch bar i am getting a security logo with the white X inside
> > the red shield telling me to turn on automatic updates. i cannot get
> > it to turn on, not when i click on the box. i get an message saying
> > "were sorry, the security center could not update your automatic
> > update settings". when i go to check it out i see that automatic
> > updates is filled in the bubble just fine.
> > why did you ask me about Norton and Mcafee? BTW, i have not been able
> > to use my system restore and the Norton folks told me turn off a
> > certain setting and then
> > try it. guess what, system restore doesn't seem to work either. all
> > goes well but nothing happens after i wait several minutes.
> </PASTE>
>
> >> Is it really Norton Security Suite, a freebie from your ISP?  Was the
> >> freebie McAfee Security Center installed before that?
>
> >> Has another Norton application ever been installed on the computer (e.g.,
> >> free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> >> .

hey bear and the person who wrote their name in cyrillic (above):
i somehow got my updates working again. it wasn't a problem with
norton or mcafee. bear, i had used the
clean up tools after mcafee got unloaded and i moved to norton. i
still have att and symantec. my system restore
app is still not working properly but i will be back if the problem
persists. as for this thread's problem i believe
i didn't have settings for full administrative permission on WU and i
had to do a boot into safe mode in order to
modify the setting. i believe it was a folder called C:windows/
softwaredistribution that just needed to be
taken out of HIDDEN mode and the security tab looked into and ticked
off correctly.
i really do appreciate your kind and attentive support. i only wish XP
SP3 wasn't ending for good soon. but i know
where to find you guys and get help if the need arises. also forgive
me for spreading myself from the usenet at
google to the msn community forums and back. i was on somebody else's
machine and got seduced by MS
for the upteenth time.
you two dudes rock though.
jeep_man in his wrangler
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
scooter, scotto, scottso, jumbo wrote:
<snip>
> i really do appreciate your kind and attentive support. i only wish XP
> SP3 wasn't ending for good soon...

Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. Extended Support for WinXP SP3
will continue through 08 April 2014.

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

Windows Update support forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)