From: pui ming Wong on
We have experienced the following:
User A sent mails with an excelfile
(using outlook) to User B and User C
User B mailbox is on a server running sendmail 11
and User C on server sendmail 12

User C got the attach okay (mime type as Application/VND.MS-EXCEL)
but User B got it wrongly (mime type as Application/MS-TNEF)
(User B actually thought it as winmail.dat)

So it seems something in sendmail has something to do with it
Is there anything I could set in sendmail.cf on that sendmail 11
to overcome this
From: mikea on
pui ming Wong <s11976(a)net2.hkbu.edu.hk> wrote in <hse0ds$k5i$1(a)net44p.hkbu.edu.hk>:
> We have experienced the following:
> User A sent mails with an excelfile
> (using outlook) to User B and User C
> User B mailbox is on a server running sendmail 11
> and User C on server sendmail 12
>
> User C got the attach okay (mime type as Application/VND.MS-EXCEL)
> but User B got it wrongly (mime type as Application/MS-TNEF)
> (User B actually thought it as winmail.dat)
>
> So it seems something in sendmail has something to do with it
> Is there anything I could set in sendmail.cf on that sendmail 11
> to overcome this

I've seen this with stuff coming into the mailfilter I run at work:
B gets Application/VND.MS-EXCEL, but C (at the same place, through the
same inbound filter) gets Application/MS-TNEF (the dreaded winmail.dat).

Turned out, in each of the multiple cases, to be a setting in the
sender's addressbook for user B differed from the setting for user C.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx
From: ska on
pui ming Wong wrote:
> User C got the attach okay (mime type as Application/VND.MS-EXCEL)
> but User B got it wrongly (mime type as Application/MS-TNEF)
> (User B actually thought it as winmail.dat)
>
> So it seems something in sendmail has something to do with it

Nope. Certainly not.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053/en-us

regards,

-ska